Joining a new floating engineered wood floor to existing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dad has an engineered wood floating floor in his kitchen that's worn and damaged, and I've offered to help him take it up and lay a new one. The existing floor is a pretty standard 15mm 3-strip oak board on a 3mm underlay.

I've a fair bit of experience laying these, but there's an issue I haven't come across before. He has a massive gas range sitting on top of part of the floor, in a brick alcove. Given that I don't want to try and move it, for all sorts of reasons, I was hoping to leave the section under the range and butt the new floor up to it (approx half the width of the old board will be visible in front of the range).

But - even if I can get the height of the new section exactly the same (tricky, as I suspect the old underlay will have compressed slightly) - how can I best join the new board to the old and get the join secure and exactly flush?? Straight butt joint with wood glue?

For added complication, I suspect the old floor was straight tongue & groove, and probably glued - whereas the new floor will be one of the new type where the tongue and groove are shaped to lock together, and not necessarily at the same depth as the old...

Any ideas welcome!! (but would like to avoid any kind of threshold trim etc)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back