Using tile vents for high level ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been insulating my attic room at roof level (gabled roof, semi detached house), celotex between rafters + 50mm air gap above.

I have installed soffit vents at the eaves, I now just need to install the high level ventilation. Because there is a void above the ceiling in the attic room, the BCO has said I can use tile vents near the ridge instead of ridge vents. I need equivalent of 5mm continuous ventilation.

I am intending to use the following tile vents: http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/harcon-in-line-redland-49-tile-vent-brown.html, positioned at 2m intervals to achieve the 5mm.

I understand I should install these in the second course of tiles from the ridge on only ONE side - so I intend to install them on the rear of the property so as not to be visible from the street.

I also understand I should ventilate around any obstructions, and as I have 2 velux windows and chimney breasts I intend to install one of these tiles either side of these obstructions between each obstructed rafter.

So my question is just - is my understanding correct on these points? Any further gotchas I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Installing them 2 tiles down means disrupting the ridge. The ventilation on the velux's at the front will 10x a vent. Are vents really needed?

Hi colind86,

BCO says yes they are, unfortunately. If they are installed three courses down this wouldn't disrupt the ridge, right? I can check whether that is acceptable, but I think it's too low, according to what I've read. How much of a pain is it to disrupt the ridge?

Sponsored Links
3 tiles down generally wont disturb the ridge due to the gauges unless the roofer decided to put a nail in every time he seen a plane (random nailing). If you go 2 down the ridge will no doubt be disturbed. Which will mean prob re bedding 8 ridge due to disturbance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back