Ridge ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have a question (or two) about roof ventilation at the ridge.

Air travels through the soffit board or over the fascia vent, in between the rafters, under the membrane, and over the insulation, and escapes at the ridge through the ventilated ridge roll and the plastic separators.

I am not sure but I think water can get in through the plastic ridge joints, but then hits the ridge roll / membrane and runs down the tiles? Does that mean that the ridge membrane allows air to pass but not water?

In theory then I could lose a few ridge tiles and would not suffer any water ingress, as the ridge roll would keep all water out?

PS: I just saw a Redland ridge ventilation method where the ridge tiles sit on top of special spacers to allow air to circulate underneath, but there is no ridge roll, and so if water gets in between the ridge tiles it will cause great damage?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does that mean that the ridge membrane allows air to pass but not water?

In theory then I could lose a few ridge tiles and would not suffer any water ingress, as the ridge roll would keep all water out?
Basically yes. That and the fact that the ridge is the least vulnerable part of the roof regards water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Hambleside Danelaw(y) All I got was ancient Vikings @ first:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back