Using toilet brush in cistern

Sponsored Links
Obviously there's a contamination issue.
The toilet brush is presumably covered in stuff from the bowl?

I would like to be warned if I was about to plunge my hand into a contaminated cistern.
Also, many cistern valves have a plastic tube that is designed to quieten the fill. This sits in the water and connects to the mains water.

I'd think there is a question of contamination of the water supply?

Cistern Blue & cistern blocks slowly cause rubber seals and washers to rot, rim fresh flush things can cause a blockage should one fall in the pan and be flushed away.

Sponsored Links
Obviously there's a contamination issue.
The toilet brush is presumably covered in stuff from the bowl?

I would like to be warned if I was about to plunge my hand into a contaminated cistern.
Also, many cistern valves have a plastic tube that is designed to quieten the fill. This sits in the water and connects to the mains water.

I'd think there is a question of contamination of the water supply?
the latest quiet fill valves have non returns fitted. still don’t make it right though.

A lot of fill valves have dip tubes to reduce fill noise but there's still an air gap down to the water level so it still complies to provide CAT5 backflow protection. The others as mentioned have backflow and/or air gaps built into the design.

In a toilet, the minute the water enters the cistern it's classed as CAT5, especially if there is a toilet blu or blocks or rust or anything else that contaminates the water. Been in a lot of cisterns that are black and filthy. Hence the use of gloves and washing of hands once finished

My mum uses her toilet brush to stir up toilet blue in the cistern.
Can this cause problems?
Do not use toilet blue...Hell when one needs to siphon or dismantle the cistern bits.And digging around with a bog brush will only stir up sediment and cause problems..And potentially smash fema plastic parts.

Most cisterns I come across have some muck in them..Many I think,,jeez,all that crap in drinking water.One customer though,as clean after 40 years as day one..no cleaners used,,just spotless mains water...I was surprised.

I bet the customer actually cleaned it and didnt want to tell you :)

Most cisterns I come across have some muck in them..Many I think,,jeez,all that crap in drinking water.One customer though,as clean after 40 years as day one..no cleaners used,,just spotless mains water...I was surprised.

Was his name Trigger by any chance ? - Had the same toilet for those 40 years, just put 10 new pans and and 10 new cisterns on it over that time...... :LOL:

Had to change the inlet valve on mine the other day. It's totally clean inside apart from scale on various plastic bits and rust on screws. Why would it get dirty anyway because cisterns are sealed with a cover.

I am thinking of start using cistern blue. If it doesn't dissolve, perhaps dangling it with a loop of thin rope/wire under the water inlet would help it along? The bottom of the cistern doesn't really get much disturbance, and could be the reason the OP's mum had to give it a stir.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back