uvpc window wont shut properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a upvc tilt and turn window that will not shut properly – normally it’s not a problem unless its very windy outside.

On the window there seems to be 2 catches on the bottom, side and top of the window which when the handle is turned the catch locks into place – there is one of the top of the window that is not locking into place properly, however I cant see why as everything looks as if its in the right place.

How do I go about working out what the excat problem is and fixing it?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
the catches should locate / slide into the plates screwed into the frame. the catch might just be reaching into the plate and no more, meaning the possiblity of drafts when stronger winds are present, hence you only noticing it when really windy. or, depending on how the window's adusted height wise the catch is maybe missing the plate altogether i.e. reaching it horizontally but missing it vertically (if that makes sense!) again you might only notice the drafts when wind is stronger.

on a calm day put your ear right up to the affected area, if the window ain't sealing properly you'll 'hear' the outside, pushing the affected area slightly will create the seal you're seeking. if this happens you know, in some way, the catch is not locating into the plate properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back