Vacuum break valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

If I have not got an open stack pipe directly behind a downstairs toilet, under what circumstances do I need a vacuum break valve for the toilet.

The existing first foor toilet is open vented via a stack pipe which feeds into a new common chamber.

Kind Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
anyone?? I need to know if I require a vacuum break valve

Richard, Firstly many thanks for you help.

There will be two foul pipes, the existing which is vented through the roof and a new pipe which is connected to the existing via a chamber, please see the photographed sketch.

I would appreciate your thoughts on my particular installation

//www.diynot.com/network/Paul205/albums/

Sponsored Links
Richard, Firstly many thanks for you help.

There will be two foul pipes, the existing which is vented through the roof and a new pipe which is connected to the existing via a chamber, please see the photographed sketch.

I would appreciate your thoughts on my particular installation

//www.diynot.com/network/Paul205/albums/[/QUOTE]

That's fine Paul, however you could fit a small stub stack if you so desire & even a Durgo valve on top of a stub stack.

Mr Google is your friend...... ;)

Richard, I am extremely thankful for your help, I have tried google but cannot really find the specific answer to my question. If I get this correct, you are saying that based on my sketch I do not need an air admitance valve??

The reason I ask is I don't want to see one in my beautiful new toilet room!! I also have the connection straight into the foul pipe in the footprint of the toilet making fitment of any valves very difficult.

Richard, I am extremely thankful for your help, I have tried google but cannot really find the specific answer to my question. If I get this correct, you are saying that based on my sketch I do not need an air admitance valve??

The reason I ask is I don't want to see one in my beautiful new toilet room!! I also have the connection straight into the foul pipe in the footprint of the toilet making fitment of any valves very difficult.

That's correct, it's within 6M of the SVP so no other vent/stub stack or Durgo is needed. However, if you fit a wash basin, you'll need a vertical stub stack for the waste pipe from that or it'll pull the basin trap when you flush the bog.... ;)

Golden Rule of drains; air behind water!!!

As a general rule the soil vent pipe is fitted at the head(high point)of the drain

thanks for this Richard, you help has been very greatly appreciated. thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back