Vailant ecotec 28...Intermittent buzzing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this is quite a regular topic on here, but thought I'd post anyway.

So we had this boiler fitted about a year ago. Had its first service a couple of months ago & in the last month or so, it has started making an intermittent buzzing noise which seems to resonate through the Rads. This seems to kick in when usage increases, like when we get up in the morning, or get home after work. It can stop by itself, but sometimes I have to reboot the boiler to stop it.
This is where the fun starts....I contacted the plumber who installed it. He said contact Vailant as it's still in warranty. Vailant said if they visit & it isnt directly boiler related, we get £90 call out charge...Back to the plumber who said it needs to be making the noise for him to detect the problem....
So if anyone is familiar with this problem, I'd be grateful for any info.
The noise seems to come from just under the boiler where the pipes go in.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
This may just be the pipes resonating, mechanical vibration.

If you try touching each one in turn at different points, you might find that this is the cause.

If so an extra pipe clip might be needed or simply just pack it out from the wall with something soft like foam plastic.

But it could also be something else! Difficult to guess without hearing it.

Tony

Last edited:
Turn all TRV valves to max setting and see if noise still there.

Try capturing the noise on your phone when you know it is most likely to happen.

It is nigh on impossible to diagnose a fault that isn't occurring when attending!

Sponsored Links
Turn all TRV valves to max setting and see if noise still there.

Also, try turning all rads off except one nearest to boiler and when noise is occurring shut and open the TRV/wheel head on that rad and see if it has an affect on the noise... video it and post it up here.

Bunnyman has given you the correct advice get Vaillant out and you should not be charged

This is where the fun starts....I contacted the plumber who installed it. He said contact Vailant as it's still in warranty. Vailant said if they visit & it isnt directly boiler related, we get £90 call out charge...Back to the plumber who said it needs to be making the noise for him to detect the problem....

This is a common conundrum...

If installer attends and discovers the fault to be the boiler, who compensates him for his time?
By rights, he should be able to charge the same £90 as the manufacturer, and receive it on the spot! It would make sense if you paid him and then claimed it back from the manufacturer, but then you'd be out-of-pocket for however long it took for them to reimburse you! Even better would be, if in possession of the skills, he could fix the problem, you pay him and then you claim it back from the manufacturer, under terms of their warranty!
Perhaps better still: manufacturers' customer support centre consults technical staff, who make an 'at distance' diagnosis on the likelihood that the defect is with the boiler! If @Bunnyman can do it, why can't they?

Forum... discuss... :)

Thanks for the info guys. Thats useful to know...

Got the plumber who did the install coming to look tomorrow. He said he's going to bill Vailant if it's their issue, or I'll prob just pay him if he cures it & claim it back.
The Plumber does regular work for my Nephew's building company, so we know him a bit & he seems an ok guy.

It was droning away early this morning for the first time, so it's def getting worse.

I doubt many makers will agree to fund non staff engineers doing repairs.

I normally fit maker supplied parts free during the warranty period if they will send them to me.

I doubt many makers will agree to fund non staff engineers doing repairs.

I normally fit maker supplied parts free during the warranty period if they will send them to me.

Hence my use of the word 'conundrum' Tony.

Sods law dictated that we didnt get any noise yesterday, so unable to try this out.
My wife did report that after putting some washing on, it started again this morning, but the Plumber is calling, so I hope it's still going for when he gets here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back