VAILLANT 242H FAN PROBLEM AND REPLACEMENT HELP PLZ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, i have a Vaillant 242h and it has stopped working and i haven't used it for over 8-9months. I had someone come to check it out and i was told it was the fan as the guy sprayed it with wd40 and gave it a spin and and eventually it started working.

I have been quoted it will cost £160 for part and labour and it will take near 2 hours. Now i am pretty handy and have found the manual and it says for fan replacement:

Replacement of fan (fig. 55)
• Isolate the boiler from the electrical
supply.
• Remove front casing as in section
7.1.3, and remove combustion
chamber cover as in section 7.1.5.
(ABOVE DONE)
• Disconnect the electrical connections
from the fan.
• Remove the 2 fan securing screws
(4) and remove fan.
• Reassemble in reverse order.

Now im sure to pull off 2 electrical connections and 2 screws cant be that bad...seems like im getting conned. Is it worth me doing or am i missing something else?

Any help would be much appreciated as im moving in very soon.

MANUAL: http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Vaillant/Turbomax VUW 242E 282E.pdf

PART: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAILLANT-...Cooling_Air&hash=item415ee57cf7#ht_500wt_1156

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
No it shouldn't take two hours to change a flue fan, more like 30-45 minutes IF the screws come out and the ferrules don't spin.

But any work inside the combustion chamber of a gas boiler is outside the scope of a DIYer. A fan is part of the combustion process so safety and performance checks have to be made which only a Gas Safe engineer can carry out.

You should find a GS Registered engineer who is familiar with working with Vaillant appliances.

BTW the pdf link is to the wrong model.

hi and thanks for the reply.....sorry what are the ferrules? Being a fan shouldnt it just be 2 screws - off and on?

British Gas do a One-off repair where if they fix problem in 30mins they charge £69, 1-2hours the £189 or 3 hours more £399 (these prices include part and labour). I dont want them ripping me off or staying longer then needed.

I have taken out a E-on boiler cover and someone is coming on the 26th for a inspection - if there already is a problem they charge £65 call out and the fees to fix. Thats why id like to get it up and running asap.

sorry my bad here is the right manual:
http://www.ultimatehandyman.org/PDF...W-GB-242-EH-Installation-manual-47-044-13.pdf

1. Loosen 2 fixing screws and open clamping ring by hand

2. Remove 2 retaining screws and remove cover plate

3. Lift fan vertically upwards a few mm to clear spigot locating the fan onto the flue hood.

4. Slide the fan motor downwards to disengage from the clamping ring

5. Remove fan motor from the applaince and remove connectors

6. Reassemble in reverse order

still seems simple no?

Sponsored Links
sorry mate 831 is right the fan is a crucial thing to the combustion process and u need a reg engineer todo it for u as we can't advise on gas safety stuff

UPDATE: removing a fan on this boiler was as easy as opening a plug and undoing the wires! 2 screw and 3 wire connectors off and job doing...total time 6 minutes if that!

Just shows you cant always trust these forums and the 'A**e' who comment on them!

also just shows about the tight arse wads who come on and after advice from experienced guys you ignored them and replaced a safety critical component with the four checks required by gas safety instalation and use regulation's.
then again you probably never paid the original engineer for his diagnostic visit.
for people like you i just pray your new house has the most complicated system on the market and when you come back here for advice at least the one's who pased you some will not respond.

considering i called a supplier and he even said its straight forward and you can do it yourself too!

people need to get there facts straight before shouting abuse

The suplier had no right or qualifications in telling you it was an easy job for a layman like yourself to do!
The sooner our industry makes it impossible for muppets to purchase gas spares without producing a valid gas safe certificate the better. But alas, i doubt that will ever happen.

a layman lol....considering ive done light wiring, replaced flooring joist, fitted a kitchen, chimney removal, flat roof re-felting, house alarm installation and floor laminating and carpet fitting by myself perfectly well.....And if you want to include servicing my bmw as well as fitting central locking in a car. i think that term does not relate to me mate!

a layman lol....considering ive done light wiring, replaced flooring joist, fitted a kitchen, chimney removal, flat roof re-felting, house alarm installation and floor laminating and carpet fitting by myself perfectly well.....And if you want to include servicing my bmw as well as fitting central locking in a car. i think that term does not relate to me mate!

:LOL: are you serious?

Funiest thing I've seen all day.

My mum can do everything in your list bar the car... in what way do ANY of those things have to d with the checking of a gas boiler?

Darwin where are you FFS? :unsure: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back