Vaillant boiler keeps switching on and off by itself

S10 indicates hot water demand. ie tap turned on. If you did have a leak on your hot supply to taps, it would most likely happen constantly, and probably prevent the heating from working, and it would have to be a considerable leak. If its more intermittent then it would point towards a boiler fault. This is where it gets tricky im afraid. I would suspect the aquasensor being faulty, but theres no guarantee without carrying out diagnostics. You could try unplugging the aquasensor while the fault is occuring and see if it stops

Sponsored Links
call vaillant for a fixed price repair £215 01773 828100

The fault is constant. However, as I said before when the cold water tap is turned on, it stops. So, if there was a leak in one of the hot water pipes (lets assume that is what it is), then why would turning a cold water tap affect it?

The fault is constant. However, as I said before when the cold water tap is turned on, it stops. So, if there was a leak in one of the hot water pipes (lets assume that is what it is), then why would turning a cold water tap affect it?

a small leak under standing pressure will be even smaller when the cold tap is run as the pressure accross the whole system will decrease under flow conditions. CALL VAILLANT.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is not at fault (which is what it sounds like), will Vaillant get involved? Isn't this a job for a plumber?

does the fault still occur if you turn your water off? (stopcock, or service valve under boiler)

everythings pointing at there being a leak, I would start looking. Your average plumber doesn't generally carry any specific tools to find leaks, so rather than waste money, see if you can find it yourself first. You need to look on the hot supply from the boiler to all the taps. good luck! :D

Hmmm, this is going to be interesting. Some of our hot water pipes are under bathroom tiles and some are even under concrete :( . Thank you all for your help and I will post back when we have found out where it is. It is going to take a while. I wonder if house insurance will cover this ;) .

Thanks mickyg

Found the leak completely by fluke. Walking around the house bare footed and noticed a small section of laminated flooring was a little too warm. Builder came yesterday and broke a small section of the concreate floor and lo and behold, there was the hot water pipe. The pipe didn't even contain any joints, it was just one long piece. The plumber found a small hairline crack in the pipe. He replaced the faulty section with a new pipe and the boiler is now ok.

Now you just have to wait for the water bill (if you're on a meter) :LOL:

Luckily, we are not on a meter. If the pipe is under concrete, can it be somehow protected (by wrapping something around it)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back