Vaillant Boiler - Pump starts for COLD water! why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. Just had a Vaillant 837 installed and all seems well, except that when I run a cold tap, the boiler pump starts up. Not the burner, just the pump. Can't understand this as surely a cold tap should have no effect on the boiler?
Any ideas whether this is normal. seems pretty inefficient to me. I am nervous that the installer scr*wed something up.
Thanks
G

Sponsored Links
Air in the pipes. Usually sorts itself. Search on "dead legs".

I wonder what the installer has to say?

He should have noticed that and advised you accordingly.

Tony

Installer said nowt. will check with him this morning
what's a 'dead leg' and how do I check it? :D

Sponsored Links
Definitely a dead leg. This is a pipe that has been cut and capped instead of being removed. If you used to have a hw cylinder I would check in airing cupboard for the old hot water pipe. Could be as simple as getting installer back to remove cap and put on an air bleed point to remove air.

Have you had a problem with yor installer? If not why do you post on here before giving him a call and a chance to rectify?

These boilers have an aqua sensor (they detect flow) have you a water meter? you may need a mini expansion vessel fitted to the cold main to take up any expansion in the pipes. which is causing your boiler to start up

my money on a deadleg too, very common problem, the old cylinder cupboard the place to start, if installer argues I belive it is in the regs somewhere about not leaving dead legs in, but dont take that as 100 percent, been a while since i had a good read! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back