Vaillant Combi Boiler help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there..

I have a valiant Combi Boiler, which is brilliant... has never let us down.

We have a little issue in that when we run the hot water, when the tap is turned off the boiler will still run, and if the CH is on, then that will not be supplied. I have found that there is a spring which doesn't quite go all the way down on its own, and as such we have to press the spring down.

I have borrowed a picture of the boiler, and the part is just to the right of the arrow. Does anyone know what this part is called and is it serviceable/repairable please?

Attachments

• 97331205.jpg
    97331205.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
yes it is serviceable /repairable but I doubt by your goodself, fantastic old boilers but you need someone who knows how to repair this and its not the spring, there are a few valliant gurus on here and they might be able to recommend someone in your area

fantastic.. thanks.... It is an amazingly good boiler... granted the hot water is a little slow to come downstairs but when it comes its hot...

Get someone round
If they suggest changing it show them the door.
I'd expect to fix this on first visit
If I understand your post correctly the spindle win be sticking and not retracting

Sponsored Links
Thats great news Phill... that sounds like the issue... essentially - I turn the hot water on, boiler fires up... turn the hot water tap off, boiler keeps running. I physically have to push the lever attached to the spring down to turn the boiler off. Is there anyone in the Staffordshire area that comes recommended? Im assuming its not a diy job.

I don't know anyone personally.
@Bunnyman do u know anyone Staffordshire way?
It could be done diy but I'd would be best to get a pro in. Do u not have it serviced.
At this boilers age it would be good to find someone familiar with it to look after it.
Round here there are many in ex council properties with these fitted so have had to learn to maintain them most are still going strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracking boiler, well worth repairing. One of the best. Quality started slipping after this model me thinks

It is usually the gland leaking on top of the water section, corroding the coupling piston, which jams in the 'on' position with the servo valve pushed up. The spring is then not strong enough to return the servo cam and the piston. Annoyingly it can also just be a sticky servo valve. It needs an expert eye to diagnose, takes seconds.

In extreme cases where the gland has leaked for a while, a new water section is required.

You do need an engineer whose confident with older Vaillant's though. I don't know of anyone personally in Staffs, @Bunnyman may do.

Also good for the engineer to check the burner pressure while he is there!

It is usually the gland leaking on top of the water section, corroding the coupling piston, which jams in the 'on' position with the servo valve pushed up. The spring is then not strong enough to return the servo cam and the piston. Annoyingly it can also just be a sticky servo valve. It needs an expert eye to diagnose, takes seconds.

In extreme cases where the gland has leaked for a while, a new water section is required.

You do need an engineer whose confident with older Vaillant's though. I don't know of anyone personally in Staffs, @Bunnyman may do.
Got to give it to you Tony, 831 comes along and gives excellent professional advise which if you read the past posts most of us knew and you come along with that ???

I was automatically assuming a Gas Safe engineer's legal responsibility includes this...

Got to give it to you Tony, 831 comes along and gives excellent professional advise which if you read the past posts most of us knew and you come along with that ???

Are you not aware that on this model of boiler the burner pressure may drift?

Indeed Vaillant issued a Notice a while after they were introduced relating to this.

Did you not read what I said? It was that it is to check burner pressure while he was there. That is in no way related to curing the fault.

Are you not aware that on this model of boiler the burner pressure may drift?

Indeed Vaillant issued a Notice a while after they were introduced relating to this.

Did you not read what I said? It was that it is to check burner pressure while he was there. That is in no way related to curing the fault.
Tony my dear chap I have forgotten more about this boiler than you will ever know

So you have forgotten about the burner drifting and the Vaillant Notice ?

Its important to try to remember the safety issue Notices.

Tony you should read what is written instead of living in your own wee world, 831 correctly advised the op to contact an experienced engineer who knows this model, some younger engineers even working for vaillant wont be too familiar with this lovely old lady, however if the op does as advised and contacts someone who knows the boiler they will know every little quirk of the boiler, and if I walked in and the customer said to me you better check the burner pressure I would just walk out again and say its definitely not that, do you really think that you are the only new comer to the industry that gets technical updates ? there are an awfull lot of very experienced and competent engineers on here and all you do is make life difficult by quoting prices and belittling engineers who have been on site by quoting absolute tosh about situations that you have absolutely no experience of, then Joe public comes along and reads the post and as you said it should only cost £84 then that is what they have in mind to pay, you should stop posting on this part of the site and only post in the CC where the professionals know what shoite you talk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back