Vaillant EcoTEC+ 831 heating not working (but hot water is)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Please forgive a question that will probably mark me out as *extremely* new to DIY...

I've got a Vaillant EcoTEC+ 831 combi boiler. With a couple of exceptions it's been pretty reliable over the past 5 years that I've lived at this property. We've just got back from a week away and cannot get any heating in the house. Hot water is all fine and dandy, and the boiler isn't showing any error codes and all seems correctly pressurised...etc. Except that there's no heat in any of the radiators in the house.

I also use a quite crummy looking Salus RT500 thermostat that I've always found a touch temperamental. I replaced the batteries this morning because it seemed to have died, and I'm thinking that possibly that has created some issue where it's not communicating with the boiler? The receiver bit on the wall is showing a red light, but I think it may always have shown a red light (and I can't find the Salus manual anywhere). Is is possible that, even when I turn the heating up high on the boiler, the Salus is overriding that setting and leaving it on null? And, if so, can I turn off the digital thermostat for the time being, just so we can get heating while I source a replacement?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and the answer is either a) simpler than I think, or b) more complicated and financially ruinous... Grateful for any help!

Sponsored Links
you just need to re-bind the thermostat and receiver, try turning the thermostat as low as it will go and leave for 10 seconds, then turn up to max for ten seconds , see if the receiver light now turns green

Hello! Please forgive a question that will probably mark me out as *extremely* new to DIY...

I've got a Vaillant EcoTEC+ 831 combi boiler. With a couple of exceptions it's been pretty reliable over the past 5 years that I've lived at this property. We've just got back from a week away and cannot get any heating in the house. Hot water is all fine and dandy, and the boiler isn't showing any error codes and all seems correctly pressurised...etc. Except that there's no heat in any of the radiators in the house.

I also use a quite crummy looking Salus RT500 thermostat that I've always found a touch temperamental. I replaced the batteries this morning because it seemed to have died, and I'm thinking that possibly that has created some issue where it's not communicating with the boiler? The receiver bit on the wall is showing a red light, but I think it may always have shown a red light (and I can't find the Salus manual anywhere). Is is possible that, even when I turn the heating up high on the boiler, the Salus is overriding that setting and leaving it on null? And, if so, can I turn off the digital thermostat for the time being, just so we can get heating while I source a replacement?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and the answer is either a) simpler than I think, or b) more complicated and financially ruinous... Grateful for any help!
Give salus a call if you get nowhere.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help – I think my thesis was right, as I found instructions for re-pairing the thermostat and once I'd done this the light on the receiver turned green (apparently it hadn't always been red, who knew?!) and I was able to control the boiler.

If anyone ever needs help with pairing an old Salus RT500 thermostat, then hit me up – it's now my one piece of DIY expertise! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back