Vaillant EcoTec Boiler won't stay fired on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Been having a rather annoying problem with our boiler (Vaillant ecotec 637 plus).

A few days ago, it developed a problem whereby it cannot ignite any more (or on it's own at least, more below). What happens is that it tries to ignite, but the flame very quickly dies away. It tries to do this several more times before giving up and displaying an F.28 code. I have already checked the condensate pipe and it is not blocked. We have another identical boiler connected to the same gas supply and is functioning properly. So i assume there is no gas supply issue.

When i said it can start with some assistance, i have found that if i slightly block the air intake using a cloth (as it tries to ignite), then the flame will hold and it can work for hours normally. At some point, the boiler will turn off after reading the desired temperature, but then wont ignite itself again.

Could it be that the air intake fan is blowing too much air into the chamber, and putting out the flame?

I have called a Gas Safe engineer already, but couldn't find something at fault.

Any idea anyone?

Sponsored Links
Sorry but DIY gas info is not allowed on here, and blocking air intakes with cloths can be a rather risky business.

If your gas safe engineer cant find a fault on a boiler that clearly isnt working then I suggest looking for someone more reputable or experienced. (I can understand intermittent faults can be a pain for the most experienced guys, but a boiler that wont work in front of you should be relitavly straight forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back