Vaillant Ecotec, mind of its own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have noticed that my Vaillant ecoTEC plus 824 is firing up on its own supplying heating to my radiators even when I have set the Drayton Digistat Thermostat off.

I had the system installed last Dec, it was a mild winter then. But now with a bitter winter it is firing up supplying heat at all hours. Is this to do with the anti-frost protection device? The Anti Cycling Mode is active and I wondered could this be having an affect?

I have resorted to switching the heating off completely on the Boiler and manually switching it on for when I need the heat.

I just wanted to make sure its a fault before I call out an engineer
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is outside this could be the issue.

However it is more likely you have the Drayton RF Digistat old (square) model and it's gone t*ts up. Very common.

The external controls calling for heat will be indicated by a radiator symbol on the LCD display of the boiler.

Switching off the power disables the frost protection.

Not a good idea with the cold weather we are currently having.

Thanks Simond.
The Boiler is in the attic (which is v cold indeed).
And yes there is a small radiator icon (flashing which I think indicates Anti Cycling mode active) on the LCD display,

Tipper, thanks, I mean that I turned the Radiator dial to off (Summer setting) So no heating but hot water.

I'll have a look at the Drayton Digistat +2 controller.

Sponsored Links
It would be worth turning the warmstart function off and lagging all pipes in the loft (except the gas).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back