Vaillant EcoTec Plus 24 - very loud buzzing

Vaillant will try and stiff you for £94 to come out, refundable if it is the boiler at fault.

Are all the TRVs Honeywell, new, and all from a reputable source? EG: not eBay?

I paid "top dollar" for a Vaillant Advance installer to fit it (was a replacement for a Potterton Puma 80 which broke down yet again so I was a 'distressed' customer with cold showers - other installers booked up for a month).

He supplied and fitted the TRVs and they looked new as they were in boxes.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like another who is relying on the boiler to provide the auto bypass.

Tony
Internal adjustable bypass is capable of taking the full heating load Tony, you can check this by turning the iso valve shut while the boiler is running in heating. This one sounds more like system debris in the main heat exchanger or a noisy TRV as simond says. Hard to tell from the video alone.

Yes, I do realise that the Vaillant boiler instructions do say that the internal bypass can manage the full heating load and indeed have for several years. And as far as I am aware is normally fully able to do so. In this case the large lounge rad is always on anyway and reducing the amount of bypass flow needed.

As in an air crash investigation we need to know what has gone wrong in this particular case.

We don't actually know where the noise is coming from and what the cause is yet. We don't seem to have been told what the installer's response has been.

It sounds as if the installer is not getting involved and just leaving Vaillant to visit and asess exactly what is happening. Or has he not been told about it?

But OP Tony, surely you should call the installer first and ask for his view and ideally his fix. Particularly when calling Vaillant is a potentially chargeable event.

Do you know if the installer even tested that the auto bypass operated correctly by closing all the rads?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice other Tony!

I haven't been able to contact the installer so far (no replies to email and didn't answer his mobile yesterday).

He definitely didn't close all the rads as I was there throughout the install. It was a bit of a rush on the day and there were *loads* of snags which required him to come back a couple of times the following week.

I'll call him again tomorrow as I've been googling "Supply of Goods and Services Act" so the onus is on him in the first instance. I wasn't sure whether to go to the installer or Vaillant, this being my first new boiler ;)

I was hoping that the noise would be a distinctive one ie "it's such and such that's making the noise, probably caused by X" (I can't believe just how loud it is).

Out of interest, if the noise ceases when there's a call for hot water (as suggested earlier), would that nail down the issue? I've reverted the two TRVs back to 1-2 so the system is as it was and I'll see if it occurs later.

Thanks again,
OP Tony

I would always say call the installer first. Give him the opportunity to correct any faults he has made.

But it worries me if he is ignoring your calls. Send him a text! But we are very busy at the moment.

The potential problem if you don't, is that Vaillant will say its the installer's fault and charge you for their visit and leave it unfixed.

Noises from heating systems are very difficult for people to describe and can be caused by different things. The only way to identify properly is to be there.

I am a little surprised that your TRVs only seem to have 1-2 and 5 settings. On most TRVs the normal user setting is between 3 and 4 !

Tony

FFS Tony the TRVs have all the settings, the Cust just use 1-2 or 5.
Customer when the noise starts quickly go round each rad and turn the TRV up or down to see if it stops.

It's done it again just now.

The pattern is, switch on the CH and wait 2 hours or so for target temp (18deg). The stat then switches the boiler off of course, but a little later when the temp drops and it switches it back on again the noise begins. It's never done it during the initial fire, it seems to occur on a subsequent fire (I've noticed this the last 3 times the noise occurred). Hopefully it's consistent as I want it to occur when the engineer is here of course, if he replies (he's on jobs Mon-Wed and leaves Thus-Fri free for support apparently)

I tried turning on the hot water and the noise stopped.

PS Yes, all my TRVs are on 5, apart from those in the cloakroom and shower room, which are on 1-2. I'm tempted to turn all the TRVs down and see what happens (ie testing auto-bypass)

To rule them out, remove the TRV heads temporarily and see if the problem returns. If it doesn't, it is an installer call. He can always adjust the bypass when he's there.

If it does, I would get Vaillant over. If your Advance installer rings them himself, you won't be charged the £94.

OP Tony, did you ever get to the bottom of this - TRVs? toilet ball valve? Helicopter landing in the garden?

I was hoping so, as I have the exact same problem ...
you will have to start your own post, it is agains site rules to Hi-jack old posts, you willnot get the correct advice unless you start a fresh post, it gets so confusing when you Hi-jack someone elses posts , although it was funny reading that old spat again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back