Vaillant ecotec plus 415 heating issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i just bought the house and don.t understand how this system works, i ihabe this boiler on conventional heating, turned it on, set radiator temp on the boiler to 70 and although it is set on 70 the temperature in drops and stays around 45 46.
It runs for couple of seconds(30) heating to 71 72 the cuts off and drops to 45, 46, then after few minutes again same thing and so on. As a result i have warm to hot top of all radiators and the bottom is warmish. Each pipe that goes into the radiator is hot but each pipe that takes the exit is warm to cold.
Is this normal? If i set up the temperature to 70 or 65 shouldn.t that one be in the system?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a circulation problem, could be that the pump has lost some power or there's a blockage or restriction somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Yes i suspect the problem is on recirculation as sometimes if i press the i button it says S.53 the rest it stays on s.7.
Don.t know anything about the pump, it is a grundfos as i can see and i have never touched it. I did replaced 2 old single panel radiators with new double ones when i first got in the house and took the air out from the top left valve of each.

If the boiler is frequently cycling, then there has to be some sort of circulation issue - the water heated by the boiler is simply not being pushed through the boiler fast enough.

What can i do? Any photo with pump or video would help?

Don.t know anything about the pump, it is a grundfos as i can see and i have never touched it. I did replaced 2 old single panel radiators with new double ones when i first got in the house and took the air out from the top left valve of each.

That temperature in the video is rising very rapidly, much more rapidly than normal. You definitely have some sort of circulation issue, which needs to be sorted out urgently before the boiler is damaged.

Can you hear the pump running? You can check it by unscrewing a (usually chromed) plug at the end of the shaft with a large-ish flat screwdriver. The same screwdriver can then be inserted, to try to turn the pump shaft. Pumps left unused for a while sometimes seize, that should free it. Expect a small amount of water to escape, as the plug is removed.

[EDIT] There is something odd in your video, maybe something or nothing, but - Neither the radiator CH, nor the HW symbols are flashing in your video. The symbols usually flash to indicate what is demanding the boiler to run. The radiator symbol does begin to flash, near the end though.

Last edited:
I have this 2 in the cupboard upstairs where is also the tank, on the boiler i don.t see anything under, is just a chrome.plate covering everything as in first picture. I don.t here anything it is just a small whoosh.
Thank you very much for the very fast replies.

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_150947.jpg
    IMG_20201206_150947.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20201206_150614.jpg
    IMG_20201206_150614.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20201206_150606.jpg
    IMG_20201206_150606.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 373
That temperature in the video is rising very rapidly, much more rapidly than normal. You definitely have some sort of circulation issue, which needs to be sorted out urgently before the boiler is damaged.

Can you hear the pump running? You can check it by unscrewing a (usually chromed) plug at the end of the shaft with a large-ish flat screwdriver. The same screwdriver can then be inserted, to try to turn the pump shaft. Pumps left unused for a while sometimes seize, that should free it. Expect a small amount of water to escape, as the plug is removed.

[EDIT] There is something odd in your video, maybe something or nothing, but - Neither the radiator CH, nor the HW symbols are flashing in your video. The symbols usually flash to indicate what is demanding the boiler to run. The radiator symbol does begin to flash, near the end though.
Yes you are correct, the boiler starts by itself it heats and when is about to turn off it flashes the radiator.

Maybe i lost the pressure in the system and needs more? Or pump issue. I have an engineer booked for thursday but now I amworried because it might be this issue going for the last couple of weeks since i motived but didn.t realised it until now when it is really cold outside and the house doesn.t get very warm and don.t want to cause serious damage by leaving it until then.

Maybe i lost the pressure in the system and needs more? Or pump issue. I have an engineer booked for thursday but now I amworried because it might be this issue going for the last couple of weeks since i motived but didn.t realised it until now when it is really cold outside and the house doesn.t get very warm and don.t want to cause serious damage by leaving it until then.

It's an open vented system, so you should not need to top up the pressure. It has an F&E tank somewhere high up, probably in the loft, which maintains the water fill in the system. Likely you will have two tanks, a quite large one, then the much smaller F&E tank. Check the F&E tank has several inches of water in it. It should be filled by a float valve, press the float down, water should flow in to top the tank up.

Your second photo shows a valve actuator, your third one shows the pump, with the chromed plug covering the motors shaft - which I mentioned earlier and suggested you ensure that is rotating.

It's an open vented system, so you should not need to top up the pressure. It has an F&E tank somewhere high up, probably in the loft, which maintains the water fill in the system. Likely you will have two tanks, a quite large one, then the much smaller F&E tank. Check the F&E tank has several inches of water in it. It should be filled by a float valve, press the float down, water should flow in to top the tank up.

Your second photo shows a valve actuator, your third one shows the pump, with the chromed plug covering the motors shaft - which I mentioned earlier and suggested you ensure that is rotating.
Yes that is correct, just tested the heating tank and is full of water, pressed the ball and let.s more water in.

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_162022.jpg
    IMG_20201206_162022.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20201206_162031.jpg
    IMG_20201206_162031.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20201206_162108.jpg
    IMG_20201206_162108.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_20201206_162100.jpg
    IMG_20201206_162100.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 248

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back