Vaillant ecoTEC plus 418 - Does NOT Work - HELP!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:mad: :mad: :confused: :?: :?: A corgi registered company have just installed a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 418 (via my housing association). It has not worked properly once. It will start up and shut off several within a 5 - 10 minute period. Then it will shut down with the error code F.23. I have had them back round to figure out and fix the problem, however nothing has changed - still doing exact same thing. Engineer reckoned there might be a bit of air in system and to press reset (flame) button if it happened again. Every 5 - 10 minutes I am resetting this stupid device just so i can have some heat and hot water. If i don't keep pressing the reset F.23 just displays and nothing will happen, which means NOTHING HEATS!!!!!!!!! Can anyone please, please offer suggestion???!!!??? :mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
It may well be air in the system but I dont see that there is much that a tenant is likely to be able to do about it.

Just keep on at your housing manager perhaps invoking the emergency repairs procedure.

Many people in your position, after advising them of the problem, try to claim compensation if it is not dealt with within a reasonable time scale.

Whats reasonable over an Easter weekend is arguable! Since we are available in our local area for repairs over the holiday could mean that anyone in London could claim that the hA could have called us to deal with the problem.

Most contractors doing HA work employ less experienced people and their abilities to deal with problems is often very poor.

Tony

Hello sm13

This fault can be caused by inadequate water flow through the boiler. If you set the pump speed higher this may solve the problem. Try turning it to maximum (speed 3) and see what happens.

The book seems to picture it already on setting "3" which is what I would expect.

A CORGI inspector on a Rogue Trader program accused the unregistered person trying to repair the boiler as acting illegally when he removed the sealed front cover.

I would not advise an HA tenant to remove a front cover!

Tony

Sponsored Links
:mad: :mad: The pump is already on 3. Like said, as I'm just a mere tenant i can't start flushing and pulling things apart. The annoying thing is that they've only just increased my rent. What am I paying for?!?! Thanks anyway. sm13 :mad: :confused:

I would not advise an HA tenant to remove a front cover!

Tony

Vaillant 418 is a heat only boiler - the pump is external.

Normally I wouldn't advise a tenant to touch anything at all, but given the time of year it may be somewhat difficult to get someone round.

That said, your experience of the industry is far greater than mine, and if there are legal implications for the tenant it is wise to point them out.

F23 could also denote flow and return pipes wrongly piped up.The combustion cover is on the heat exchanger so contrary to corgi is not illegal to remove cover.

F23 could also denote flow and return pipes wrongly piped up.The combustion cover is on the heat exchanger so contrary to corgi is not illegal to remove cover.

The outer case is part of the "room sealing" and with the case removed the combustion air is being drawn in from the room.

Consequently I cannot really disagree with the Inspectors statement although I was a little surprised when he said it although on reflection I realised that he was not wrong!

Tony

:mad: :confused: I got lost on Combustion Cover and Heat Exchanger, I know absolutely nothing about boilers, apart from they get fitted and work!! Was hoping someone had a simple solution (like me!) as i would not feel at all comfortable removing covers and messing with pipes. Thanks though. sm13 :mad: :confused:

Gasgeezer mentioned that the flow and return may have been reversed. You can check for this, although you'll still need an engineer to fix it. Turn the heating on from cold and feel the two water pipes at the top of the boiler. The one on the right is the flow, and should become hot before the one on the left.

The outer case is part of the "room sealing" and with the case removed the combustion air is being drawn in from the room. Tony

Not on the 400 series Tony. The outer case is just that, you have to then remove the inner metal combustion chamber cover to enter the combustion chamber ;)

I would also agree that the pump needs setting to max power, after checking the expansion tank has water in it.

i thought flow and return reversal usually fires S53 immediately and terminally.

:confused: Both pipes are too hot to tell if one gets hotter than the other at the moment, will try in morning when it will have been off all night. sm13 :confused:

i thought flow and return reversal usually fires S53 immediately and terminally.

F & R reversal would give, I think, S96 or near that.

S53 is too great a temp difference between F & R.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back