Vaillant ecoTEC plus 824 suitability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI!

My partner has a 3 bedroomed terraced house with a loft conversion which has another bedroom (4 in total) and a shower room.
She has three small children (including one diabetic) and has had no heating for a week and as such has asked local heating engineers for quotes for new combi boilers.
She has been given a quote of £2,100 to intall a new Vaillant ecoTEC plus 824, now looking around this does seem a good boiler but am worried that it may not be big enough for her needs.
There are ten rads in total.
For instance would the water flow rate be good enough to get hot water to the shower in the loft space?
The boiler she is trying to replace is a Halsted 2000.
I am wondering if the have recommended this boiler as they will not have to replace the 15mm gas inlet pipe.
She needs a good heating and hot water system.
Your thoughts on this will be gratefully received.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
All combi boilers will need a 22 mm minimum gas supply pipe.

It seems that she is being screwed and is going to get an inferior installation.

Presumably she has picked the cheapest?

You get what you pay for!

The heat output is fine. The hot water output is about 8-9 li/min, how adequate that is depends on your expectations.

But all of this should have been discussed with the proposed installer.

Thats why we dont give free advice visits to specify a system only to find the householder then gets someone else to install the same thing cheaper.

Tony

All combi boilers will need a 22 mm minimum gas supply pipe.

It seems that she is being screwed and is going to get an inferior installation.

Presumably she has picked the cheapest?

You get what you pay for!

The heat output is fine. The hot water output is about 8-9 li/min, how adequate that is depends on your expectations.

But all of this should have been discussed with the proposed installer.

Thats why we dont give free advice visits to specify a system only to find the householder then gets someone else to install the same thing cheaper.

Tony

Tony,
Many thanks for the reply, she did not go for the cheapest quote, it was on a recommendation.
Am a little confused as to your reply, you say the heat output is fine and the hot water depends on expectations but you also say it seems she is being screwed.
She is willing to pay the going rate for a decent boiler, no matter what it is but just does not want anything inferior as you say.
Cheers,
Tim

Sponsored Links
The inlet to the boiler is 15mm but the rest of the pipework has to be at least 22 mm or larger depending on the distance to the meter. A competent installer has to work that out.

Its not much a question of getting a decent boiler as chosing the best for the house and occupants and having it properly and correctly installed.

I wonder if this installer bothered to measure the mains dynamic flow rate?

Tony

In a word 'no', nor did any of the other three including the British gas guy who wanted to install a powermax for £3,500.
They just looked at the boiler, nodded and told her what she would need.
Its a grim old world when you dont really know what you are doing!

As said above. 24Kw is plenty for the rads. However if she likes quite a good shower then I would recommend the 831.

If the boiler is within about 3 metres of the gas meter, with only a couple of bends, 15mm may suffice for a 24Kw but not a 31Kw.

I would suggest you up the size to at least 30kw, it will take an age to fill a bath with a 24kw combi and the shower will be pretty weak too!

"Did anyone measure the mains dynamic flow rate."

In a word 'no', nor did any of the other three including the British gas guy who wanted to install a powermax for £3,500.

They just looked at the boiler, nodded and told her what she would need.

That is really very disapointing!

I have to say that as many of us here harp on about it so much that I would say that virtually everyone from this site would have measured it.

Tony

Gone for an 831 so as to get the increased waterflow.
Only drawback is that they say they cannot fit a magnatec as no room in the pipework, they also say I dont really need one on a sealed system!

And still no one knows if your mains supply will supply an 831 !

You must mean a Magnaclean.

Its irrelevant if the system is sealed or open in this respect.

Its whether the system has been properly cleaned or not!

They are only needed if the system still contains some dirt.

Tony

Sorry! yes I do mean a Magnaclean.
They have to be fitted to the 22mm inlet pipe yes?
how much space is required? I may do it after.

It should be on the heating return to the boiler.

Much better to get installer to do it otherwise you will lose the inhibitor he will have put in !

But if he does not measure the flow rate I doubt he will put inhibitor in either!

A Magnaclean is a very convenient way to introduce chemicals!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back