Vaillant EcoTec Plus - Hot water going cold after a cpl mins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, this might be a long one....cos I'm not sure what you need to know to hopefully (please!) try to help.

I bought wireless vaillant thermostat and installed it fine, everything was groovy for a few days, but then the hot water started getting cold after only 2 mins in the shower (not good when your hair is full of shampoo).

I've now removed the thermostat and I'm getting the same problem.

The message is S.53 - and I've read that could be either a kw output thing in d.0 or a circulation problem.

I'm wondering also whether when I topped the boiler (to get it up to 1 and a bit bar) I inadvertantly left a valve open causing that problem? Is that possible, I mean the CH and HW works, just the HW goes cold with S.53 message after about 2 mins.

The display on the boiler has a big C at the bottom of the display, and I can't find what that means, and I can't remember seeing that before.

I'm wondering :

a) has the thermostat changed a setting on the boiler (so even when I removed it, it's still set)

b) I've left something "open" when topping it up.

c) it's just coincidence and there is something else wrong.

Would really appreciate any pointers, I've tried getting hold of a plumber/heating engineer, but no luck so far - January at the earliest!! (no recession there then!)

Thanks for any help.

John

Sponsored Links
a) has the thermostat changed a setting on the boiler (so even when I removed it, it's still set)
No
b) I've left something "open" when topping it up.
No
c it's just coincidence and there is something else wrong.
Yes
The message is S.53, "is a circulation problem" thanks DM

If you read my post Vallant Ecomax 828, your problem is the same ;)

The display on the boiler has a big C at the bottom of the display, and I can't find what that means, and I can't remember seeing that before.

It means the Warm Start Function is on, if you look at your MI it will explain

Thanks for your replies Bob, as you can probably tell I'm pretty much out of my depth now - I guess I need a heating engineer then!! I tried to find your other post again Bob, but not sure if it's the right one - is it the one that mentions the "sludge"? :)

Any heating engineers near Swinton/Salford that can come and sort it out for me? Drop me a line please!

Sponsored Links
No sorry I posted in the CC :oops:

Probable causes
1. Fexi hose blocked (change)
2.Inline filter blocked (clean)
3.Plate hx (clean)
Pump (clean)

Power flushing the boiler would help,

Also fit a Magnaclean to the system.

Hope that helps

Is it a combi boiler or system ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back