Vaillant ecotech plus 831 vs 837 for replacement combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My old SIME friendly E boiler has breathed its last and I'm on the verge of getting a new boiler installed.

My house is a 3 storey victorian terrace with 4 bedrooms, 8 radiators, and 1 bathroom with mixer shower (2nd shower room is electric)

The installer has proposed the 831 is plenty good enough for providing the necessary heat and hot water but I'm concerned that I should be pushing the boat out a little and going for the higher specced 837.

That said I'm not keen to waste money where I don't need to.

Am I daft to consider the 831 over the 837? Has the 831 got the power to fulfil my needs? The old boiler struggled to heat the entire house - the attic room rads in particular never getting above lukewarm.

any advise appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If the engineer who arrived has sized your property correctly, by calculating heat losses, sizes of rooms etc. to conclude a required heat for the property, then applied that to the output of the named appliances. Then yes, to some extent, they should heat your home.

Then again, we're a lazy breed, and most engineers have a wander round your home and calculate the above in their head, to conclude, more often than not, which of the 2 boilers they prefer, they are going to install.

Both are great appliances, what is the difference in cost for the 2 installs?

The fact the SIME didn't do a great job is either here nor there.

What you need to be asking is whether or not the system will be flushed, to maximise the efficiency of your existing system.

goodluck.

Thanks for the information. The installer is going to powerflush the system and fit a magnaclean.

How does the power of a boiler affect it's ability to heat efficiently all over the house. If the boilers in the kitchen would the 837 do a better job of heating the attic by virtue of being more powerful?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back