Vaillant 831 or 837 - advice needed!

Put Vaillants Modulating controls on it - VRT392 (room compensation) or VRT430 (room &/or weather compensation) This will alter the boiler flow temperature and optimise the range rating.
All range rating does is to change the maximum output. It has no effect on the minimum.

Go with the Ecotec 837.
What, even if the maximum heating requirement is below the boiler's minimum?

Sponsored Links
Their modulating controls look at the desired temperature and then at either the room or outside temperature. If there is a big difference, say 5 degrees it turns the flow temperature up to achieve the temperature as soon as possible. If the difference is minimal say 2 degrees the flow temperature will be lowered to get the same time/temperature rise. Mine often is running with a flow temperature of 40 ° (an 838 exclusive - nice but not really worth the extra £200 which could be spent on controls).

I wouldn't even consider a 831 with 2 showers a 837 might cope but I would expect poor showers if 2 going together I would reccomend a 937.

If cost is s real issue why Vaillant yes they are the best but they are also expensive

If you are regularly going to use 2 showers together a standard combi will disappoint you unles you are used to poor showers. I have 1 bathroom in my house and o have a 831 but if it were doing 2 k think I'd still be dirty when I got out

Sponsored Links
have fitted both, and to be honest the best advice given here so far, is, if you insist that you need two showers to run at the same time then unvented or tanked water is the only real option to guarantee that that will work. the 837 is a little better with water flow rate but i feel it will struggle. it is also not really worth the extra money that you pay out (for that very reason). and also remember that your house must be capable of being supplied with the required cold water flow rate and pressure into the house to be able to achieve the figures they quote for the 837. i fitted one where the water softener was really affecting the flow rate even thought the input water rates were sufficient.
valiants are really good boilers though, even though the customer service is crap.

Incidentally, just another point/thought... It suggest here http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100114070625AA7hA34 that i'mm need between 3.5L and 7L per minute for a shower...

Or am i missing something entirely!? Our mains pressure on the cold tap is just over 15 i believe...

Thanks
That web site is Australian although its not clear where the answers are coming from.

Australia has a water supply crisis. If you wash your car you have to put up a sign to say the water is recovered/harvested!

The reality is that people here expect about 10 li/min.

"""Our mains pressure on the cold tap is just over 15 i believe..."""

Can you explain what " 15 i " is meant to mean?

Pressure is normally measured in "Bar" ( or previously in psi ).

Tony

PS I dont understand why with only two people you cannot adjust your lifestyle to move your showers by just 5 min each so you can take them after each other.

Probably 98% of UK households only have one bathroom so most people can obviously manage.

PS I dont understand why with only two people you cannot adjust your lifestyle to move your showers by just 5 min each so you can take them after each other.

Probably 98% of UK households only have one bathroom so most people can obviously manage.

While it's beside the point, we generally don't shower together (in fact, one bathroom is currently out of order due to having no shower screen).

But the point is that I want to be able to when we need to - not much point in having 2 bathrooms otherwise is there!?

The latest figures show that new build,showers will be 8lpm max for water saving.all comes under sustainable homes.

Whilst waiting for a tyre to be fitted this fellow was also waiting who worked for one of the Midlands motorcycle manufacturers.

I asked him why bikes were allowed to make so much noise. His answer was they were subject to the same noise emissions as cars but most owners start by changing the silencer for less efficient ones!

Whilst legislation can reduce shower flow rates, no one can curb those who spend too long in the shower. I like 20 minutes minimum.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back