vaillant ecotech pro 28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant Eco tech Pro 28 and I need to do some work on the heating system, the work will probably take a couple of days, is it possible to drain down the heating system but keep the hot water system running?

Sponsored Links
close flow & return isolation valves on boiler before draining , drain system & retain water in boiler , hot water should continue to work

but, you are then relying on the integral bypass to allow residual heat to dissipate....

Not certain that's the best solution, if desperate, remove pipe connections from valves and fit a coil 22mm speed fit or similar pipe to flow&returns, fill that and it will act a decent sized radiator to get rid of excess heat energy.

Or, boil a kettle?

DH

Thanks guys, as is probably apparent I'm not a plumber, I hadn't thought of the heat aspect, what happens to that when you select summer heating in other words heating off? an acquaintance of mine suggested that it couldn't be done since the pressure would be dissipated and the boiler would shut down, he said I would have to disconnect it above the pressurising cross connection and blank the flow pipe and then re-pressurise the system, which would be a real douler dans le derriere as the French say. I have almost got to the point where I am ready to drain down so I am starting to twitch.

Sponsored Links
The Vaillant is designed to be able to run with no CH connected.

I have never had any problem running boilers with CH not connected. Often caused by customers turning off all the rads!

Would expect the boiler to control itself adequately anyway.

Tony

I have never had any problem running boilers with CH not connected. Often caused by customers turning off all the rads!

Would expect the boiler to control itself adequately anyway.

Tony

+1

When you are only using hot water in the summer since when does the boiler use the radiator circuit to dissipate heat.

Thanks for all the inputs gentlemen, the dreaded DD Day (Drain Down Day) is tomorrow but I feel confident all will be well.

Once again many thanks.

Terry B

Just so as you know, you were totally correct and everything went as planned.

Many thanks

Terry B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back