Vaillant Ecotech problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am just writing to see if anyone has any thoughts on what could be going on with my Vaillant ecotech boiler or the whole heating/water system itself.

I'm not too sure what sort of set up I have but there is a tank in the loft, a hot water cylinder in a cupboard on the first floor and the boiler is downstairs in the kitchen.

Basicaly the boiler is about 2 years old and has never had any problems, well any that I know about, but this last week it seems to be acting up. When it comes on in the morning, the pipes running around the house are making loud 'knocking' noises and the pump by the hot water cylinder seems to be going on and off a lot, it is on setting 2. this happens also when the boiler goes off at night and this lasts for anything up to 20 minutes.
I have checked the boiler when this is happening, and on the screen it shows a flashing radiator symbol and the temperature reading seems to be going up and down, say from 58 to 71 then back again and it repeats this. Another strange thing is the heating isn't on and if I turn the dial, with the radiator symbol next to it, down, the hot water goes colder but not the heating, has this been installed wrong?

I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea as to what could be going on, I'm not looking to fix this myself as I wouldn't know where to start, but it would be nice to know what you think could be wrong so when I get a plumber in I can maybe give him a heads up.

Thanks a lot, up3489

Sponsored Links
Probably a circulation issue. Boiler is trying to protect itself by cycling.
If you press the i button when its running you may see S53.
Try turning the pump speed up if you can to see if it makes any difference.

possibly a sticking zone valve, from what you explain you have a 400 series appliance and this does control the pump but only when told to come on, so therefor the boiler needs to be told to come on or off, also there is a possibility you do not have a byepass loop for the bopiler to "dump" heat.

Sponsored Links
A 400 series Ecotec on an open vented system usually means the kiss of death and an early grave. Sounds like circulation problems, and possibly the main heat exchanger is blocking up. Is there a Magnaclean filter fitted on the return? or something similar?
Possible pump problem, but if the systems only two years old unlikely, and if the systems been working ok previously, then it's unlikely to be a pipework or set up issue...

This could get stressful and expensive.... Lets hope it's just the water levels low in the header tank! :unsure:

Yeah it's an ecotec plus 418, the booklet that came with it says it's for an open vented system, are they known to fail on this system? I don't understand why something that costs quite a lot and says it is designed for an open vented system would start to show problems this early. Convenient for them it's about 2 months over the 2 year warranty. :(
Also I can't see a filter of any sorts, and the water round here is really bad, limescale on everything, could this cause a blockage and create the problems I have described? The boiler is only just over 2 years old however the rest of the system, including the pump, was here when we brought the house, we just replaced the boiler when it decided to leak water all over it's circuit board! once again conveniently 1 month after we moved in :evil:

It's probably not that major

Circulation issue most likely Causing your boiler to "cycle"

You probably need a new pump if possible it would be best to have it wired back to the boiler so it can have overrun. This might not be practice tho

We are ex-vaillant engineers, and we would NEVER fit a 400 series on a open vented system... too many tears, melted credit cards and suicidal customers in the past. Lets hope it's something as simple as the pump (me thinks not!).

Love the signature 1985.... obviously been around a while to have that level of cynicism...

We are ex-vaillant engineers, and we would NEVER fit a 400 series on a open vented system.

How come the Instruction for installation and servicing booklet that came with this boiler says on the front cover that the Ecotec plus is a ' Wall hung open vent condensing boiler'? it just seems strange that they would advertise this as a boiler suitable for an open vent system, yet ex-vaillant engineers quote that they would never fit a 400 series on a open vented system. It's like Vaillant know their boilers fail on an open vent system but still try to sell as many as they can and probably hope to pick up the repair work as well when they develop problems

Viessmann regular boiler 100W.
You can drive a small car through the heat exchanger, never block up in a million years... no pump overrun required, but an option if you want to/can.
Vaillant main heat exchangers lose 4m head in resistance/loss, as they're so narrow, much the same as the majority of other boilers.
Leaves the pump a lot to do with only 2m head left, so vented systems struggle with so much drag etc....
Or.... just pressurise EVERYTHING... lol

We are ex-vaillant engineers, and we would NEVER fit a 400 series on a open vented system.

How come the Instruction for installation and servicing booklet that came with this boiler says on the front cover that the Ecotec plus is a ' Wall hung open vent condensing boiler'? it just seems strange that they would advertise this as a boiler suitable for an open vent system, yet ex-vaillant engineers quote that they would never fit a 400 series on a open vented system. It's like Vaillant know their boilers fail on an open vent system but still try to sell as many as they can and probably hope to pick up the repair work as well when they develop problems

The 400 series is a uk only model
And is "designed" for open vent systems (I use the word designed loosely)

I have fitted many and had vey few problems but I'm sure these guys have seen more than me (bear in mind that these guys see the broken ones)

The system needs to be clean and wired properly
if the pump is not wired back to hhe boiler it probably doesn't have a pump overrun which can cause issues with The heat exchanger.

Have you had anyone out to look at it yet

Sealed systems ate obviously the way forward but not always practice

The viessman compact is also my OV of choice I think it will turn out to be very good I've fired only a couple but they are definately much less sensitive than the Vaillant

No doubt there are hundreds of 400 boilers out there working fine. But the system has to be spot on. Unfortunately boilers designed under perfect conditions don't always have the practicality of what's in peoples homes!
It's our policy, based on our opinion, from past experience. It has nothing to do with Vaillant!
We just don't like call-backs or disgruntled customers, so we stick to what we know works...

Yeah I completely understand, you would just think that over the years some sort of feedback from professionals would have reached Vaillant and they would maybe have done something about it if possible

Viessmann regular boiler 100W, sounds German manufactured, you know that's going to be reliable, might get one if this packs up :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back