Vaillant F75 Error Code - Faulty Pump

Now suppose the boiler leaked all over the place when he fitted the new pump or a plastic part broke off and it took him five hours?

Would you then think that £150 was still too expensive?

Doing that job, I would allow two hours and hope that it would be completed in a little over 1.5 hours if all went well.

I would charge about £177 for the pump and about £148 for diagnosing and fitting it.

I would also have removed and checked the cleanliness of the pressure sensor and canoe and used an air pump.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It does not have to!

£84 is a diagnostic fee with unlimited time available.

But its also used to price longer jobs too.

In this case £84 first hour + £42 next 30 min + £22 next 15 min.

Based on my expectation of taking a bit more than 1.5 hours!

Tony

The way I'd see it is that you had the job done, he charged a fair price and did it quickly and efficiently to get you up and running. You should want him back but if you don't trust the guy or feel uncomfortable with him in your house then that's your prerogative.

Next time you can use this experience to decide whether you call him in again or risk another unknown quantity who comes off as less shady but scams you for £3500 for a new boiler or fixes it with the same ease. Thems the risks you take.

Not all RGI's are great people persons but get the job done and vice versa. Some are both and others are neither.

Jon

I appreciate your viewpoint. To me and my family it certainly did not seem like he fixed it quickly, leaving us all weekend without hot water (the central-heating worked fine though, thank God), especially when he kept the pump in stock in his van. I understand it was 5.30 in the afternoon on a Saturday and he probably wanted to get home but why bother to turn up in that case?

No, unfortunately I would not use him again, which is a shame as it turned out he lived just round the corner and it would have been very handy.
He was a very friendly, chatty person on the face of it but something was definitely amiss (plus there were some other things which occurred that I have not mentioned). I am pleased everyone that replied is convinced he did a good job and charged a fair price. It's always a risk calling in someone that you have no experience of, like on this occasion, and I'm pleased of course that apparently I have not been ripped off.

Now suppose the boiler leaked all over the place when he fitted the new pump or a plastic part broke off and it took him five hours?

Would you then think that £150 was still too expensive?

Doing that job, I would allow two hours and hope that it would be completed in a little over 1.5 hours if all went well.

I would charge about £177 for the pump and about £148 for diagnosing and fitting it.

I would also have removed and checked the cleanliness of the pressure sensor and canoe and used an air pump.

Tony

You have completely misunderstood my queries Tony. The purpose of me posting here was to ask if £150 was a fair price, I have not once stated I thought it was too expensive. I didn't know - if I did I would not have asked. It might have been that people said it was an outrageous price, the pump only costs £80 and takes 15 mins to fit. I'm pleased you think it is fair, it makes me feel much better that I was not ripped off. I wish I had come to you instead though and saved myself a fiver!

To me and my family it certainly did not seem like he fixed it quickly, leaving us all weekend without hot water (the central-heating worked fine though, thank God), especially when he kept the pump in stock in his van. I understand it was 5.30 in the afternoon on a Saturday and he probably wanted to get home but why bother to turn up in that case?

Just taking this point it seems he is very cheap if you had a Saturday afternoon call out too!

I would ask you to look at it from our view though. If he had started that job on a Saturday evening or Sunday and something did go wrong or it needed something that he didn't stock you would have been boilerless all weekend. He did what most may do and left you working with heat until he could guarantee a fix should something happen.

With a Saturday call out to diagnose and then 1.5 hrs normal rate to fit in London I would say you did really well. I'd say that labour could've come to somewhere around £225 if not more.

To me and my family it certainly did not seem like he fixed it quickly, leaving us all weekend without hot water (the central-heating worked fine though, thank God), especially when he kept the pump in stock in his van. I understand it was 5.30 in the afternoon on a Saturday and he probably wanted to get home but why bother to turn up in that case?

Just taking this point it seems he is very cheap if you had a Saturday afternoon call out too!

I would ask you to look at it from our view though. If he had started that job on a Saturday evening or Sunday and something did go wrong or it needed something that he didn't stock you would have been boilerless all weekend. He did what most may do and left you working with heat until he could guarantee a fix should something happen.

With a Saturday call out to diagnose and then 1.5 hrs normal rate to fit in London I would say you did really well. I'd say that labour could've come to somewhere around £225 if not more.

He told me there was no call out fee for coming on the Saturday - but you are still missing the point, you are acting as if I was complaining about the price when I have not at any time. The whole point of me coming here was to ask if it was a fair price.

Imagine you go off to Rio for the Olympics. You were expecting a pick up from the airport but it doesn't turn up so unexpectedly you have to take a taxi from the airport. You've never been to Rio before, have no idea the cost of the taxi and you don't get a good feeling about the taxi driver and you suspect he has driven you the 'scenic' route. It takes you 40 mins to get to your hotel in Copacabana and he charges you $30. Later, out of curiosity, you find a taxi driver forum and post a question asking the taxi drivers if the price you were charged was fair. The taxi drivers on the forum turn on you and say "how dare you question that price, I would have charged $35. The price you were charged was more than fair - especially for a Saturday. You didn't expect it to take only 20 mins did you? What if you had run into a traffic jam, it would have cost you an extra $15. What is it about the price you are complaining about?"

but you are still missing the point, you are acting as if I was complaining about the price when I have not at any time. The whole point of me coming here was to ask if it was a fair price.

Not at all, I've read your posts and know that you are happy with it and was just getting a guide. I was just stating that, as a guide, the price you got was even better so you can feel happier that not only weren't you ripped off you actually got it done very cheaply.

I think you'll find it was our Tony that was missing the point.

Now anyway........ what did he do! Me and @AGAS are sitting here dying to know!!

images (1).jpg

Jon

It does not have to!

£84 is a diagnostic fee with unlimited time available.

But its also used to price longer jobs too.

In this case £84 first hour + £42 next 30 min + £22 next 15 min.

Based on my expectation of taking a bit more than 1.5 hours!

Tony

Should it not be £21.00 for final 15 minutes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back