Vaillant or Viessmann

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simples...

Following on from my thread previously have now decided on the installer I am definitely going to use.

He recommends Vaillant but has fitted a few Viessmann and likes them too. He is offering a 5 year warranty on both as well and has been recommended by a good friend who has used him in the past.

Do I go for a Viessman 100W or a 2011 Vaillant 837 Ecotec Plus?

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
you cant compare the 100 with the vaillant...you should be considering the 200!!!

and kts the controls that make the boiler...so the vitotronic 200 for viessmann or the 392 or 470 for vaillant..

all these boilers are good...

Dan, out of curiousity, what would you use?

I love the look of the Atag Q (out of my budget however.. looks so damn sexy too) and I flirted with the Intergas (heard a negative opinion on the customer service from an approved installer however and that put me off permanently) but the Atmos with a 5 year option is too expensive.

Looks like it is the Vaillant :)

Sponsored Links
The 200W would be do-able just about.. it is about £200 over my budget though.

The Vaillant 837 is being given to me at the same price as a new Vaillant 831 however... making it a good value choice I guess.

This installer loves Vaillant ... and unlike a lot of local plumbers is really genuinely into the "geek" side of the boiler too.

From your point of view as a home owner - the customer service is largely down to the approved installer.

But yes - Intergas if a 5 year warranty was essential, Atmos because they are a nice company to deal with (and see the Intergas too).

Atag do an A series too which are the same or cheaper than Vaillant.

Veissman don't exactly have the best name for customer service either, and Vaillant a far from perfect in my direct experience.

As to Veissman's HEX? Twaddle. Sorry MM, but the Atag primary HEX is more efficient and more proven. Not sure who makes them, but who cares?

The Atmos & Intergas HEX's are bullet proof.

Check out the Atag A325EC. Not the prettiest boiler I admit.

Thing you have probably noticed though - every installer has his own opinion. Some are more blinkered than others. Some have blinkers for a reason.

Thing you have probably noticed though - every installer has his own opinion. Some are more blinkered than others. Some have blinkers for a reason.

This is true.

Two installers recommended an Ideal Logic+ (have an Ideal Isar in my old rented property and it has broken down 3 times already.) I know the reason they recommended this boiler - Ideal are giving cash backs on these from what I heard.

Also recommended was a Biasi (very heavy push by a plumbing centre.)

Another anecdote about engineers, a British Gas engineer was about to drill a hole in my Ideal boiler the other week as he could not get the plate off it. He used an electric screwdriver that essentially ruined the screw. He told me the screws were corroded and if he drilled through it and broke the nut behind he would have to condemn the boiler. Told him to stop and got the screw off when he went in about 5 seconds. He had lied about the screws being corroded - the last time it was repaired the RGI put the screws back on too tight.

One complaint to BG later and that engineer was never to be seen again.. what an utter tosspot he was.

It really is a minefield out there!!

None of us is likely to be doing any work for you. Therefore we have nothing to gain from any advice we give you.

Even so you will still see we are giving you different information.

People you have met offer you what they think may suit you.

If you have a 12 year old car then the Ideal Logic is a cheaper boiler which is good value for money.

If you have a six year old Mercedes they will offer you a Vaillant.

Or if you have a nearly new Merc or BMW they will offer you a Viessmann or Intergas!

The boilers sold as Atmos are also made by Intergas.

What make and age of car have you?

Tony

I see what you are getting at Tony but the relationship you have alluded is also reciprocal ... the engineer may be a top bloke but has limited knowledge on certain types of boilers therefore goes with the ones he knows well. He only knows cheap boilers because his client base is at the lower end of the market. He therefore thinks everyone that buys expensive boilers is a mug.

I had that impression from the plumbing centre.

I'm not going to say what age and make my car is because you hit the nail on the head pretty well. :) You could probably guess. However I know people that are MUCH better off than I am installing £500 Glow Worm Betacom 30C's in their properties.

By the way the engineers I invited mostly did not know what car I drove as I don't have a drive way!!

LOL, I did drive a Skoda at some point ...

To be fair I told them what boiler I wanted, Veissmann, Worcestor or Vaillant.. hadn't considered the Ataq until Dan mentioned it just now. Still got people pushing Ideal, Biasi, Potterton and the aforementioned Glow Worm (a B rated boiler with a 220W electric power consumption.. eww.)

OK so Dan has convinced me, I want an ATAG A325EC but now the installer is not happy with this but will install it if I purchase the boiler.

I think I am going to cry.

I think that would be a mistake.
Not the boiler or the installer, but the combination obviously doesn't go.

Should you have a problem with the boiler chances are your installer won't care.

Why does he not want to supply?
I suspect he has no experience of the product and therefore doesn't want to be involved.
I can see his point, I am myself a Viessmann or Vaillant man and would probably avoid fitting others that I didn't know.

My advise would be to find an installer familiar with the product you've chosen or go with the advise of the installer you've chosen and install what he recommends

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back