Vaillant or Worcester ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
After trying to understand the pros and cons of various combi boilers It has come down to a vaillant pro24 or a Worcester greenstar 25i
I have a 2 bed terraced house one bathroom and will be installing a shower over the bath so hopefully the above mentioned boilers will give me a good flow at the shower.
Or should I go for the next size up ?
I did read about Worcester having a aluminium heat exchanger is this something I should be taking in consideration when making my choice ?
Has anyone any comments on the better of the two (or others)

It will be a replacement for a back boiler and a old hot water tank etc

Sponsored Links
I am no expert but on the advice of others on this forum have just had an Intergas fitted and I am very happy with it.

Before I start I am biased.

But Vaillant for me. Most people have gone off of worcter in general for a number of reasons.

Intergas have their place, but I would have no confidence in their manufacturers back up, They make less boilers over here in a year than the big make do in a few weeks.

If gas supply and budget isnt an issue, hand you have at least an average water pressure in the house, I would strongly advise to go for the pro 28 as a minimum.

A 24kw boiler (regardless of make) will give a pretty unimpressive flow rate at the hot taps, 28 wont blow your socks off but it much more useable, had a 24kw for years and in the winter when the cold mains into the property is really cold you need to run the hot tap at a trickle.

Thanks for your comments
I can get a vaillant pro24 with flue/filter/chemicals for £829 + vat
The pro 28 is £919 is it worth the extra as this is really the top end of my budget
Funny enough the Worcester is slightly more expensive
Any thoughts on the viessmann (29kw for £709 + vat) with flue, filter etc
And what about s/steel vs aluminium heat exchanger ?

Sponsored Links
s/steel is almost always a preferance to aluminium, both have their merrits, but on a well flushed and cleaned system SSteel will last much longer.

What are you using now for hot water? cylinder? old combi? the 28 is worth the extra to the 24 in my opinion every time, but it depends what flow and how hot you are used to the hot water being

Have I been quoted a good price for the boilers I have mentioned or is there a better deal to be had somewhere ?
At the moment I have an old back boiler and a hot water cylinder tank in the loft etc a crappy shower attachment on the bath taps that produces a dribble of water that is either to hot or stone cold
My last three houses have had combi boilers (a potterton) total pants
(a baxi) not bad but a few problems (and a glow worm)
I like the good shower and instant hot water and apart from telling the kids not to run the water while I'm in the shower I'm reasonably happy with them
I just don't want I boiler that is unreliable just because I have gone for the less expensive option

The difference in expense between the 24 and 28 is for the higher capacity, the difference between manufacturers is for the quality and aftersales service etc.

The prices seem about normal, but becareful on deals as they usualy throw in the cheapest chemicals available, and going from a back boiler to a haigh efficiency will almost certainly require a significant amount of proper flushing with good quality chemicals and a good filter fitted afterwards or you will likley be plauged with breakdowns there after regardless of boiler make.

Vaillant out of the 2 no questions. However Intergas is better - and I'm not biased....

However what does your installer recommend? He's the one that has seen the system. Not us.

Worcester for me, vaillants are just too leaky and if you were desperate to go that way check the glow-worm range. I only repair though, rarely install.

Vaillant have fitted aluminium heat exchangers to their commercial boilers for years and are now changing their domestics to aluminium. So the stainless vs aluminium argument isn't going to have much relevance in respect of the two manufacturers you are asking about.

Regarding boiler pricing, if you have Google you are as much as an expert as me. Or anyone else down your road.

Intergas is still right at the top of my budget if I'm going to pay more is it better to go for a cheaper boiler with a higher output or the lower output of a better brand ?
Baxi or glow worm any good ?
However it looks like the vaillant is the most recommended

My installer said he installs baxi but he is no longer doing the job I'm removing the tanks etc and running some pipe work myself and a mates mate is hanging the boiler etc for cash. (And yes he is a registered plumber)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back