Vaillant ecoTEC 831 vs Worcester 30 CDi

Sorry Guy got carried away again, Vaillant/Worcester are as good as any, unless you look at the new Viessmann, Atag, MHS, and a couple of others but at twice the price many wonder if it's worth it.

Sponsored Links
To answer your last question, a condensing boiler has more bits and processes so it potentially is less reliable. But that is not a reason for avoiding it.

To put a parallel, a bicycle never fails because the fuel pump sticks like a car can. Nor will the bicycle run out of petrol! However although cars are much more expensive and unreliable most people still use the car and clog up the roads and polute the planet.

A condensing boiler will save fuel costs and the latest versions are very reliable.

I was talking to a sales manager for that brand today and he was telling me the merchants were complaining that they never sell any spares for the latest boilers!

Tony Glazier

That could be the merchant ripping the punters off again and charging too much for the parts :LOL: :LOL:

I still say the manufacturers should recall or replace known faults FOC.

And I will keep on at them till they do improve the quality or go out of business :LOL: :LOL:

I agree with that in principle but unless there is a safety issue the manufacturers usually prefer to make money from sales of spare parts.

Talking of safety, there is an early indication of a possible safety issue affecting Ideal 80FF and the later Response models. This manufacturer has identified a possible overheat problem ( which WE knew about for ages ) and is now going to add an o/h stat FOC on all boiler regardless of age. Apparently letters have been sent to people on extended warranties. See Gas-news.co.uk for further details.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
I use baxi & glow worm.Cost efficient,fairly reliable,pretty good manufacturer back up and 2 year guarantee.

Agile said:
I agree with that in principle but unless there is a safety issue the manufacturers usually prefer to make money from sales of spare parts.

Talking of safety, there is an early indication of a possible safety issue affecting Ideal 80FF and the later Response models. This manufacturer has identified a possible overheat problem ( which WE knew about for ages ) and is now going to add an o/h stat FOC on all boiler regardless of age. Apparently letters have been sent to people on extended warranties. See Gas-news.co.uk for further details.

Tony Glazier

The Response FF80 has an overheat stat fitted

Text from Ideal is apparently:-

"An evaluation programme in our laboratories has identified a small incidence of potential overheating of the internal heat exchanger, which could result in the boiler failing in an unsafe manner."

No immediate danger additional thermostat will be fitted free of charge.

Boilers affected

Ideal Resonse80 GC no 47 348 02
Ideal Response 100 GC no 47 348 04
Ideal Response 120 GC no 47 348 01
Henrad CC 120 FF GC no 47 348 13
Ideal Response FF80 GC no 47 415 09
Henrad CC FF GC no 47 348 11
Henrad CC FF GC no 47 348 12

Tony

Agile said:
On the heat exchanger ???

has a Boiler overheat stat GC No E00-049 and a DHW overheat stat GC No E00-051

Looks like they don't work too well then and require an additional one :rolleyes:

I think those are the ones on the CH and DHW pipes and are not on the HE!

I have been to repair four during the last week! ( One for Dan and installed by Dan! )

Its a COMBI!

Back to the Hindi film!

Tony

Perhaps our reader should consider an Ariston condenser. I think they're unique in giving a 5 year warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back