Vaillant programmer woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Vaillant Turbomax 282e boiler. The timer is one of the green mechanical jobs, and it appears to have a fault - when on timer, the heating never goes off when it's meant to; if the timer says on from 8 to 9pm, I will find it still firing at 9.30, showing no signs of stopping. when it is in this state I can "reset" by powering off the boiler, and sometimes just by moving the timer to the off position, but that doesn't always work.

So I found a replacement timer on ebay... I'm not sure it's the timer, I imagine there might be other causes, but I found what looked like a good replacement, a digital version which if it worked would be an upgrade. It was only £25 so I took a punt.

Sadly, I am a prat.

The new timer is for a Thermocompact 282e, and despite being the right shape and colourscheme, the wires are different (why Vaillant? Why the same boiler number?).

The old timer has a 4-wire white ribbon cable which plugs into the PCB.

The new one has heavier wires that have to be separately screwed into a connector block. The wires are blue, brown, black, red, white and grey. There's a secondary loom which extends the black/brown/blue, presumably a power circuit for something else.

Question. Is there any point at all in trying to make this fit? I assume not, and the seller has agreed to refund, but I thought it might be possible and that someone here would have a definitive answer!

Many thanks, sorry for being longwinded.

Sponsored Links
The new clock you have is for a system boiler not a combi I'm afraid. Its not the same part number at all so I guess the seller mis-led you a bit You probably have a VUW 282/1, the clock is for a VU 282 (amongst other system boilers).

I'd get a refund and look for the right clock. You can still operate the heating manually with the old one.

What a shame. It wasn't a mis-sell, it was clearly labelled for a Thermocompact, I just went by the number, which I correctly remembered. The seller actually offered to refund, which is very good of him, it was my mistake.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of wiring in a wireless unit, hopefully that will solve the problem, and if it doesn't I'll just wire it into the replacement boiler, this one is 14 years old so it's bound to need replacing pretty soon.

If you use the hot water after your clock has gone to off does the boiler ever stay on then after tap has been turned off

Sponsored Links
This is a real problem with selling anything on Ebay.

People who dont know what they are buying take it and then seem to blame you when it does not fit or do what they want.

Some things are second or third generation being resold because they were not what was expected or some missing vital parts.

Where I recently fitted a new boiler the owner has taken out a 1200w radiator and is going to have undefloor electric heating but the maximum heat output will only be 600 watts, just half.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back