Vaillant status code S.54

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Had an Ecotec Exclusive 838 installed a few months back and have had the same problem crop up occasionally - No hot water when I turn on the shower.

When I check the boiler, the digital display reads "water deficiency -waiting period", and the S54 status code is found if I press the - button. After approx 5 minutes, the display returns to normal and the shower works as normal.

Had a Vaillant engineer out a few weeks ago but unfortunately I was not in and he told my wife that the pressure probably needed topping up, which he did. I doubt this is the cause as the pressure is always between the recommended range of 1 - 2 bar (check regularly).

Has happened a couple of times in the past week and I have an Engineer visiting again tomorrow. The problem is that it is an occasional fault which rectifies itself before an Engineer can examine!

Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas that I can run past the Engineer tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This is quite a common intermittent fault but I dont remember the cause.

I think its caused because the temperatuire difference between the sensors either side of the main heat exchanger is too high. That implies too low a flow rate. Apart from checking the sensors, I would be checking for air in the boiler and for debris in the eye of the pump.

If you have a Vaillant engineer coming he should be totally experienced and will not need your advice on how to fix boilers.

In fact you might even end up annoying him which is not a good idea!

Tony

Thanks for the tips.

If you have a Vaillant engineer coming he should be totally experienced and will not need your advice on how to fix boilers.

In fact you might even end up annoying him which is not a good idea!

Tony

Point taken, but the first Engineer was also meant to be totally experienced! Not looking to advise, just want to have some idea of potential causes in case he said the same thing about topping up the pressure.

Ask them to fit a new pump.

Pumps on these are unique and a pain in the butt for problems :mad:

Sponsored Links
Hi, got the same S.54 problem as you, did you resolve your problem, if so what caused S.54 ? or is it still ongoing??. I have got Vaillant involved but so far no improvement.

pump, flexihose, or one of the heat exchangers. All except the pump will be caused by dirt in the system.

There is ( was ) a Vaillant staff engineer who has considerable experience of faults on Vaillant boilers and would be able to give the best advice on intermittent faults like this.

Most unfortunately, the organisers of this forum have currently suspended him from giving us the benefit of his advice!

He is able to view these postings and he could email me directly and I could pass on his suggestions to you.

In the circumstances though, it would be understandable if he chose not to assist.

I am very sorry that this situation persists!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back