Vaillant T3 Boiler in Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm thinking of renting out my flat. One of the bedrooms has a Vaillant T3 18 combi boiler in it. It appears to be in good working order and would be serviced before renting, if it can be used at all.

Is this setup legal and safe in a rented flat?

I read http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqlandlord.htm#faq11

Does this apply to this boiler? Is this boiler "room sealed"?

(A further question is - is it okay to create an airing cupboard around it? I've looked on the net, but can't find much advice about this regarding building regs etc.)

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
If it has "Sine" in the name then it has a balanced flue. That would go through the wall, not up through the roof.
If it's balanced than you're OK.
Not sure I'd want to rent out a flat with such an old boiler though, if it goes wrong you could have trouble getting it fixed.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, it has "sine" in the name and the flu comes out the back, through the wall. I've also just read similar advice somewhere else.

Is "balanced flu" effectively the same as "room sealed"?

It looks well looked after and good quality so seems a shame to scrap it unless necessary.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Don't waste you time building any cupboards around the boiler yet. Get the gas safety record done first. These boiler are at least 20 years old..often 25 years old. At this age the heat exchangers are cracking, the white cover on top of the boiler cracks on the corners and the screw fixing plates can shear off. Any of these faults and the boilers scrap.

As Chris said you will find it very very difficult finding anyone to look at it let alone know how to repair it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back