Vaillant thermostatic radiator valves shut off caps

Sponsored Links
Might be worth asking a friendly local plumber if they'd sell you a couple, as these are just the kind of things that anyone who installs rads inevitably ends up with a surplus of.

Otherwise, you could try asking in a proper plumber's merchants.

Good luck.

You don't have to use TRV dust caps - a half inch brass cap will do. See Toolstation item 39682 for a picture. Put the TRV head back on and turn it down to 0 or *. Remove the radiator, put the cap on the end of the valve that the rad has just come off, with a bit of paste or ptfe or whatever.

Can I ask a related question? Anyone know where I can get a TRV like the ones in the OP? The reason is I have a house full of radiators with these TRVs and the plastic caps have got brittle and are breaking. I don't really want to replace the whole valve on every radiator if I could just replace the plastic caps. Anyone?

Sponsored Links
I’ve moved into a house with these … and need a service cap. I contacted vaillant who said they are late 90’s lol . Anyway … as I had one from a replaced radiator … decided to have a play. And I’ve made my own using ….

Deep 1/2” compression nut to fit a n the couple of exposed threads ….
A 5p piece ground to have a bevelled edge to fit where olive would be
Epoxy resin to glue it into the cap
(Yes I could/should maybe just bought an 1/2” end cap but I like a challenge!)
M5 hole cut and tapped in the centre of the 5p

Either pre fit the bolt a bit or fit the bit first but have to apply a bit of pressure as you begin to screw in the bolt. Either way but seems to work. Will be trying it soon. Just hope the other valves have a similar exposed couple of threads …
Ding Dan do.

PS I did begin making a clamp to fit into the groove in the body and then make a similar arrangement to screw down into the valve pin …: but think this is more stable and simpler … if it works!

Attachments

• 106416C7-F89C-44E1-9441-C19E4E441289.jpeg
    106416C7-F89C-44E1-9441-C19E4E441289.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 50938524-5D03-4A93-89DC-8A5D6C63C60D.jpeg
    50938524-5D03-4A93-89DC-8A5D6C63C60D.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 31

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back