Vaillant turbo max 828e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep getting error S54 on my boiler which is shutting it down, no hot water or heating, initially for 10mins at a time, then eventually it sometimes gives an F24.

The Valillant engineer has been several times and eventually has blamed it on some work I had on my central heating last year, where I had all the radiators and pipework replaced downstairs, leaving an 40 years old one pipe system upstairs(although radiators only 2 years old upstairs). I have been told to flush my system, and also replace all the pipework upstairs. The reason given is there is dirt in the system and now the reurns to the boiler are unbalanced , so the boiler is experiencing erratic changes in temperature.
Vaillant are now saying unless I have this work done, my insurance will not be valid for future claims

Does anyone have any experience with Vaillant boilers? Does the engineers explanation sound plausable Also could anyone tell me how to clean out the system using a product called sentinal x800.

Sponsored Links
Afternoon Jenny,

Can you tell me what parts have been fitted on these visits?

How many?

Was a water sample taken and shown to you?

HI Thanks for reply

Oct 2009 Diverter Valve and Aqua Sensor
Dec 2009 New PLC controller board, Pump and 2 temp sensors
Jan 2010 visit from a very patronising man, who told me it was my 1 pipe system to blame and said Vaillant were not prepared to do any thing else untill I replace my pipework upstairs.
I was never shown a water sample, but was shown bits of brown debris from the diverter valve.

Assuming we are talking about the turbomax plus 828 E it will have a cream coloured plastic bottom part with green or cream knobs.

I would suggest that you point Group Service towards the main heat exchanger (not an an uncommon fault). Either: mention that no water sample was left and the water quality is hearsay (to block further visits to your job, a sample and a code card should have been left); OR; You could just say that it has been cleaned. ;)

IMHO a one pipe system would not give you these codes, these point to a lack of circulation, and as you have said the downstairs is new.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I will mention the water sample as proof of dirty system.

One last question, If I choose to clean and flush the system, Ive heard sentinel x800 is a good strong cleaner, but if I power flush 40 year old pipes is this likely to blow an old joint somewhere?

il just get my crystal ball!!! errrrrr might an then again it may not. Flushing a one pipe system is not Ideal!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back