Vaillant Turbomax 828E No Central Heating Demand!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Vaillant Turbomax 828E will give me DHW without a problem but no CH. I have no fault codes stored. I have eliminated any external controls by looping connections 3 + 4 but still nothing. I have also tried removing the timeswitch. The status of the CH demand (i+-) (d08) is always zero and if i push 'i' i get 's30' code that means no ch demand from external controls.
However, I can get the CH to work by pushing both the + and - buttons together which I'm told puts it in some chimney sweep mode, although I have only let it run in this mode for a few minutes the radiators start to get hot so the pump must be working. This is the only time I can get the CH demand (d08) code to change.
I have also checked connections 3, 4 + 5 with a meter and I get 240v on connection 5 (meant to be neutral) and nothing on the rest.
Does this sound like main board failure?

If so whats the cost of a main board?

Cheers

Martyn

Sponsored Links
Is the polarity of the mains connection right? If you're getting 230V at neutral I suspect not.

Chris

Pin 5 is room stat which will have 230v 50Hz.
3x4 for programmer stat, which is linked normally

I've checked the mains polarity and its correct.

According to the installation instructions connections 3 + 4 are for room stat with 5 used as a neutral for a 3 terminal room stat, and if there are no room stat/external controls then 3 + 4 are linked to simulate demand and it is controlled by either the timer or manually, (am I correct in assuming this?) but when I link connections 3 + 4 I still get no demand for CH even when the timer module is unplugged or set to on manually. Just thought it was a little strange to have 240v at neutral and nothing out of either terminal 3 or 4 where one of them should have 240v and the other to recieve back 240v to simulate demand.

Any ideas? I'm still thinking main PCB is the problem but a little reluctant to fork out £150 before I get some more feedback from someone who know a little more about it. Before this it had been working fine for about 3 years. (apart from a leaking air vent that I replaced after calling out a corgi registered engineer who told me it was the heat exchanger!)

I saw another post from 2005 where someone had the same problem but nothing was mentioned about whether it was fixed or not!!

Cheers for the suggestions for far.

Sponsored Links
This is purely based on my experience, Turbo Max, and of late, the Echo Max have a nasty habit of failing in either C/H mode or H/W mode.

Genrally, if you have absolute nothing, then 90% f the time, yes the boards dead.

In answer to you question, yes i would say the board is at fault, but then again im no electronics expert.

Also i have noticed, these tend to go around the 3-4 year mark, the same time the D/Valve starts playing its face up.

Dave

Cheers Dave,

I might go ahead and order one, anyone know where the VUW number is located on the boiler so I can get the correct part?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back