Vaillant Turbomax Plus 828e hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant turbomax plus 828e approx 9 years old.
The problem I am experiencing is on the hot water side, when hot is requested the boiler fires up no problem, the temperature of the water is initially good. Then the water goes luke warm, then hot ,then luke warm......this continues!
I have watched the burner and can see it ignite for approx 5 secs then go off then re-ignite and so on!
When in central heating mode there is no such problem.
Just recently the boiler stopped working but did not go into lock out, the green warm start LED was flashing and the boiler does nothing with either hot water or central heating!
I managed to resolve this by removing the pipes for the air pressure switch and sucking/blowing down them (advice given). The boiler then started working again!
Unfortunately this keeps happening.
Having reviewed some of the problems and comments on this site, it certainly seems to be one of the better ones!
Any advice would be greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
Your plate heat exchanger is blocked (look in the FAQs, lots of info there), and your air pressure switch sounds like its starting to play up. Check to see if it's the black square one (Krom Shroder) and get it replaced if it is.

You may want to get a RGI to do this first and get him to check the gas valve on the boiler is set up correctly too. With all this checked and OK and still HW temperature swings, you're probably looking at a blocked plate.

An 828 will display approx 72-76C on the display with the HW knob in the 2 O'clock position. Any higher then blockage in plate likely.

Yep my Grans Turbomax 828 had this problem, cleaning out the plate HE solved it. Make sure you get the correct replacement O-rings from Vaillant, standard ones will not fit.

Ah David is back again. One wonders what he is doing now!

Anything to do with the air pressure switch needs a registered gas engineer! It is not a DIY job. I have also often encountered failing grey ones too.

The plate HE is only water based so that could be done by a competent DIYer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Anything to do with the air pressure switch needs a registered gas engineer! It is not a DIY job.
The plate HE is only water based so that could be done by a competent DIYer.
Tony

You may want to get a RGI to do this first and get him to check the gas valve on the boiler is set up correctly too

Did I not say that Tony? :confused:

I said that it needs an RGI and it was not a DIY job.

You only said that he may want to get an RGI. That would imply that he could do it himself.

I was emphasing that only RGIs should be dealing with gas/combustion/safety matters.

Tony

Tony

If you are really that interested; I am doing Construction and the Built Environment Level 3 at NCN.

http://tinyurl.com/3us4kyy[/QUOTE]

I am not quite sure how relevant that is to HVAC but you will probably not be surprised that I am disappointed that you are not doing "A" levels and a degree course.

Was your family not pressurising you to take a degree?

Even so you are still young enough to do them in a year or two.

Tony

Tony

If you are really that interested; I am doing Construction and the Built Environment Level 3 at NCN.

http://tinyurl.com/3us4kyy[/QUOTE]

I am not quite sure how relevant that is to HVAC but you will probably not be surprised that I am disappointed that you are not doing "A" levels and a degree course.

Even so you are young enough to still do them in a year or two.

Tony

Did you read it all properly? My main area of interest is the design side of HVAC. You do this course for two years and then do a part time building services engineering course, you can then advance on to HNC/HND level and then degree level! You can become a fully qualified Building Services Engineer in this way. A-Levels are not the only way to gain access to uni.

OP, sorry for making your post go completely off topic :(

Agile, if you really want to discuss this further then send me an email

Yes, but to be effective it has to be done properly with the right chemicals. Search for so many posts about it here.

For David, HNC/HND were very good courses but have more recently almost disappeared in favour of degrees.

I dont think there was anything wrong with the courses but perhaps the tech colleges which mostly did them have now all been converted into unis and perhaps thought that they should now just teach degree courses?

I also wonder if employers were also partly to blame for considering them as inferior to degrees which was never really the case.

Tony

For David, HNC/HND were very good courses but have more recently almost disappeared in favour of degrees.

I dont think there was anything wrong with the courses but perhaps the tech colleges which mostly did them have now all been converted into unis and perhaps thought that they should now just teach degree courses?

I also wonder if employers were also partly to blame for considering them as inferior to degrees which was never really the case.

Tony

I have been told the Foundation Degree used to be offered at this college instead of the HNC but the college have stopped doing the Foundation Degree now and instead you would do the HNC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back