Vaillant VCW 242 EH air???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
My Vaillant VCW 242 is working just fine on central heating, quiet as a mouse. When hot water gets drawn off though, it sounds like there is a lot of air gurgling in the boiler. Hot water draws OK! but I am just wondering what might be causing this gurgling noise. The auto air vent seems to work fine, and as I say, there isn't that noise with the heating on.
Am just wondering, could this be caused by diverter valve not functioning 100%???
Cheers!

Phil

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be diverter valve.

How are you sure the AAV is working OK?

Where is it located?

It is at the back of the boiler, top right as you look at it!
After topping up the boiler I could hear air being expelled when the boiler was switched back on.
I find it strange there is no inkling of air when the central heating is running, but the gurgling starts when hot water is drawn.

Are you sure its air noise and not signs of a dirty plate? What does the temp dial do when running hw? Does it rise quickly?

Sponsored Links
Its a Vaillant VCW 242! I have never known the temp dial work!

Paddy, does the boiler not have 2 square gauges?
Strange, I carry these in the van- often the sensor needs putting back or new gauge even
Am I dreaming I wonder:censored:

The gauge only registers heating not when using hotwater.. if its working ok i wouldnt worry its at least 20 yrs old

yes, it has a pressure gauge and a temp gauge. The temp gauge has never worked. I did try a second hand one off an old boiler but that never worked either. The probe/sensor is in as I did find it out and put it back in today. Gauge still doesn't work.

Thanks Bunnyman! I have come to that conclusion. I have been in the house 19 years and am sure the boiler must have been put in a good few years before that. Do you have any idea when that model was first released?

Thanks Bunnyman! I have come to that conclusion. I have been in the house 19 years and am sure the boiler must have been put in a good few years before that. Do you have any idea when that model was first released?
You won't find any older than 1985, but loads were fitted late 80's. Boiler finished production in 1995.

Noise could be a partially blocked heat exchanger. These boilers also have a problem of drifting in set up. When was the last time it was properly serviced?

It's been a while. I should get someone in but have a feeling I won't find anyone who won't just say, get a new boiler!

I still fix some old boilers.

But if its still working fine why bother about a little noise?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back