Vaillant VCW 242 EH DHW expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I have an old Vaillant VCW 242 EH. Can anyone tell me if the small expansion vessel for the DHW should have a charge in it?? It is only small but there is a schrader valve on it and pressing it lets no air or water out. Should this be pumped up to a certain pressure??
Thanks!
Phil

Sponsored Links
Yes, it should have a charge in it. It is a small vessel so pressurising it will not be done with a foot or a cycle pump- moment you remove the pump, air will escape also

It should have charge but u won't be able to recharge it.

The replacement valve requires this to be disconnected anyway.

What's the problem??

Thanks!
I don't think this really has any bearing on my problems, just happened to come across it.
Main problems are: Expansion vessel gone! : Small leak on main heat exchanger. I did wonder if the leak has started due to over pressure with the expansion vessel gone.
Expansion vessel not a problem! But I gather I shouldn't be replacing the main heat exchanger with the spare I have as I am not Gas Safe registered!
Phil

Sponsored Links
Worse you should not even be removing the combustion chamber cover to look inside.

The small one should be pressured to the maximum of the water supply. But often supplied at 3.5 bar and not adjusted.

The problem is that removing the air pump lets a little air out from the joint and the small volume means that it loses almost all of its charge.

Taking it to some filling stations or using a compressor with a tank sometimes will work.

Worcester do actually require them to be fitted when there is a water meter or other one way valve.

Perhaps because they don't trust the strength of their plastic parts!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back