Vaillant VCW GB 242 282 E 80 65 46 GB Hot Water Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First time posting so please bear with me!

My boiler has stopped producing hot water automatically, I have to push the lever arm with the spring attached to close the micro switch manually, and then push it back after to turn it off.

Can you tell me what I need to replace and how I go about it? Also, when you do flick the switch and it produces hot water, its not as hot as it used to be (unless you turn the flow down on the bath tap) - is this related? If not what do I need to do to get this back to normal.

I'm totally new to anything to do with working on boilers, but am not afraid to have a go at anything, so please be kind, I may ask stupid questions!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Centre of boiler at bottom ,,,silver housing with 4 (5) pipes coming from it . there is a rubber diaphragm in there that needs changing

It's a bit like explaining the correct sequence of assembly for a nuclear submarine. If you are familiar with nuclear submarines then you should be ok. Firstly, you need to locate the main retaining pin for the central valve locking device. You can identify this by the two bi-lateral notches which lock into the retaining body. These are normally at right angles to the valve control itself, unless you have a post '97 system in which case the bi-lateral notches are tri-lateral and rotated through 180 degrees. Post systems used to have a sticker on the front which indicated this but the glue they used was crap so in many cases the sticker has fallen off. If you can identify it as a pre-97 system then you need to remove the retaining pin as follows: With an inverse circlip pliers, grip the outer (left) spindle retaining circlip, and apply slight pressure. Then use a converse circlip pliers to grip the inner (right) retaining clip and remove. This will then release the pressure on the left clip and you can remove that. The main retaining pin can now be slipped free allowing access to the valve control. If this process is not possible then you probably have a post '97 system. In this case you will need to refer to the diagrams given on the british gas website entitled omfg.1.op.400 Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
It's a bit like explaining the correct sequence of assembly for a nuclear submarine. If you are familiar with nuclear submarines then you should be ok. Firstly, you need to locate the main retaining pin for the central valve locking device. You can identify this by the two bi-lateral notches which lock into the retaining body. These are normally at right angles to the valve control itself, unless you have a post '97 system in which case the bi-lateral notches are tri-lateral and rotated through 180 degrees. Post systems used to have a sticker on the front which indicated this but the glue they used was crap so in many cases the sticker has fallen off. If you can identify it as a pre-97 system then you need to remove the retaining pin as follows: With an inverse circlip pliers, grip the outer (left) spindle retaining circlip, and apply slight pressure. Then use a converse circlip pliers to grip the inner (right) retaining clip and remove. This will then release the pressure on the left clip and you can remove that. The main retaining pin can now be slipped free allowing access to the valve control. If this process is not possible then you probably have a post '97 system. In this case you will need to refer to the diagrams given on the british gas website entitled omfg.1.op.400 Hope this helps.

well thats the submarine sorted how about helping the lad with his boiler :eek:

I'm sure there has to be an easier way to describe this! Firstly where is the central valve locking device, and what does it look like?

This is after all a DIY forum is it not? Please be kind!

to Metasis.... :LOL:

I find it funny, especially the website bit!

Can anyone help with a basic step by step of how to do fix this problem? I'm sure there must be some helpful knowledgable people who are prepared to share their knowledge, rather than take the ****...

Turn water off empty boiler undo 4 connections undo grub screw that hold valve in place split housing change diaphragm clean and grease pin. reassemle , fill and bleed system fek about for ages getting all air out system.

Turn water off empty boiler undo 4 connections undo grub screw that hold valve in place split housing change diaphragm clean and grease pin. reassemle , fill and bleed system fek about for ages getting all air out system.

Thanks Namsag, knew there was someone out there with some helpful info! :D

Be glad someone has given you advice cherry.

We do this for free so a quiet word in your ear 'dont slag off experts... even if they have a giggle at your expense'. Its unpaid time for us to try and help the likes of you out.

Ill be awaiting a thankyou to namsag from you regarding the advice he has given - when you have repaired your boiler and not before

Paul

I think you'll find if you read back through my posts that I wasn't slagging anyone off.

I am genuinely grateful for any advice I'm given.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back