Vaillant VCW GB 242 EH NIGHTMARE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vaillant VCW GB 242 EH Boiler Problem.
Long One Sorry

Hello all,

Firstly I do have a little experience with gas, electrics and engineering, so not a total novice.
I have been having a problem with the hot water from my boiler. The problem started about a year after we moved to the property, the first year we were there, the boiler worked ok, CH and DHW worked fine separately and together. I make this point for background info, after about a year the hot water started to not get so hot and got worse until no hot water at all. I understand that this is one of the most complex boilers you can get, and also German, nuff said.
I read the other post on here about this problem, but ours is beyond that stage.

Called in a local random corgi engineer for a service and to fix the problem, he serviced the boiler (gave it a good clean), and thought the hot water problem could be the ‘water section’, he stripped the big round flat valve at the bottom, all cruddy inside, replaced it’s diaphragm and a little filter, think he used a repair kit, I am referring to the large valve at the bottom, the water section I think, (different engineers use different terms to refer to parts on the boiler randomly and interchangeably, which doesn’t help), I am trying to use the names from the boiler manual, which I now have for the boiler.

Anyway, this didn’t solve the problem of no hot water, he went away said he would check with a mate and give us a call. He phoned a couple of days later and said we would need a new heat exchanger, he could get one at 95 quid and fit it all in for 250. I said no thanks, after checking on the net and getting one for 55, 73 plus next day delivery, fitted myself easily.
Exit the first engineer having charged us 120 for the service and no fix, he didn’t have much experience so I wasn’t surprised, I’m now into 200 quid and no fix.

I being a bit handy (foolhardy), had a look at the operation of the boiler and could see that the ‘servo control valve’ wasn’t working, i.e. going round when you turned on a hot tap, and making the microswitch work, trip in the boiler etc.

My eureka moment, I duly ordered a new servo control valve, 45 quid and fitted and triumphantly turned my hot water tap, NO HOT WATER, central heating working fine. Thought I better get a professional in, Enter engineer no 2, 20 years experience, highly recommended, very optimistic at this point!

He phoned Vaillant several times whilst here and did a bit of diagnostic on it, decided it was the ‘differential valve’, (one that pushes in a pin on the main gas valve to fully let gas in) duly ordered and replaced, cost of 10 quid, still NO HOT WATER, (no high flame).
He phoned Vaillant again and they then said take off a tube at the back going into the combustion chamber and blow down it, softly first then hard, if flame profile increases when blown hard it’s definitely the ‘gas section operator servo’ on the main gas valve. Duly ordered and replaced by him 45 quid, STILL NO HOT WATER (no high flame)
Also new problem emerged, couldn’t have heating on as well as hot water, turning the hot water tap ‘cut out the heating’.
He couldn’t understand like me why this wasn’t now working after getting diagnostics from Vaillant, he went away said he would ask some mates and call back. In the mean time, the pump on the boiler failed and wouldn’t turn anymore, (woke up to freezing house) bought a new one, which was much smaller than the old one I might add 100 quid. STILL NO HOT WATER.
I had to chase engineer 2 up and he then said he thought it was the fan, a reasonable assumption , I thought, as the servo works on pressure from the combustion chamber. I phoned around, jokers told me 100 for the motor without the cowl etc. I took boiler apart and discovered the fan was on its way out, the bearing on the back of it was shot, barely turned when tested it out of the boiler. I thought I had found the problem, nah. I remembered I had a brand new boiler fan in my handy spares box, I duly fitted this, all working nice with a bit of sheet metal work to get it all sealed and nice. STILL NO HOT WATER. (no high flame)

I phoned my latest engineer back and told all about the fan etc, he explained to me how to adjust the screws on the ‘operator’, turn right screw to increase flame etc, not working, no increase in flame. He explained to me all about ‘soft light’ and modulation, he also measured the pressure with his manometer of the combustion chamber, and found that the boiler isn’t modulating between soft light and main flame.
The main gas valve is working ok, has been stripped and all fine, we can get higher flame by adjusting the ‘soft light’ flame with the left screw to get 50% flame increase, but I know this isn’t how it’s supposed to work, but this gets us hot water, YAY HOT WATER, but new problem NO HEATING when turn on hot tap, demand together is too much for the old girl!

Let this be a lesson to all you out there not phoning Vaillant at the start and being put off by their 200 standard fee!

Paid out on this boiler:
120 first engineer
73 new heat exchanger
100 new pump
45 gas control solenoid
45 servo control valve
10 actuator valve
(100) for a fan I luckily had and fitted
Best part of 500 squid and probably not needed half of it I bet!
Haven’t had the bill from the second engineer yet, he said ‘its beaten me’ on the phone to me on Friday.

Now my question is WTFCK is wrong with this bloody heap of scrap before I sledge hammer it off the wall, my wife is understandably incandescent, and threatening to leave, please help me save my sanity, marriage and be able to have a hot shower and a warm radiator please anybody help.
Any questions answered an the basis of a full understanding of the problem please.
To summarise:
Screw on right of servo control does not increase flame but left one does,
Boiler seems to stay in ‘soft light’ mode with green light on, on the control box
All airways, tubes have been checked to be clear
Followed diagnostic in manual, says to check control line banjo, is clear and fine
Says replace diaphragm pump, gas operator, both have been replaced and it still don’t work.
I have had a little look inside the back of the ‘control box’ at the bottom to check the pipes for free flow of air, as this seems where the problem is leading, all seems well, but what do I know right.
It is looking more and more to me like an electronics problem, but I havn’t got a clue how to test this or where to get new ‘boards’ from, could anybody with experience advise if we’ve missed anything obvious before we spend the cost of a new boiler on this piece of.
Any assistance much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
get the diaphragm pump out and you'll find the little white elbows are cracked. Take em off and toss em, pout the pipes back where the elbows were. Reassemble taking care not to kink the pipes. Unfortunately you're gonna need a RGI to set your high and low gas pressures back to what they should be.

Sorry mate my concentration deserted me around paragraph 36...If i understand u correctly, the boiler fires but not on full rate? If so the RGI must check inlet pressure then the B.P., if they are dramatically low you may have sulphidation - clear it . was there movement from the diverter in or out when testing water / heating and did it fire at all? if not it's the diaphragm...also there is a little white plastic arm that gets broken easily on the diverter

I remembered I had a brand new boiler fan in my handy spares box, I duly fitted this, all working nice with a bit of sheet metal work to get it all sealed and nice.

That bit was just added for a bit of humour right? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Blooflame- you are talking about a different boiler me thinks.

"Let this be a lesson to all you out there not phoning Vaillant at the start and being put off by their 200 standard fee!"
Here iz a cautionary tale re Vaillant, th punchline of which iz.. a) th standard (xtortion) fee iz now £250 and b) initially check that Vaillant have not sabotaged boiler by 4 instance inserting a "bridge" btweeen terminals 3 & 4 az well az programmer being connectd to same terminals.. therefore heating cannot be turned off..
Apologies if this a bit garbled.. still reeling from Vaillantz unbelievable performance & in shok @ our solution to th problem.. neither myself nor my gfriend have any boiler xperience..
Now here iz th bak story.. in 1992 my Dad bought a Vaillant 242 EH & bcause he was old skool & honourable he got Vaillant annual maintenance contract which he kept going until (after) his death in april this year (contract ended 26 may)..
4 feb this year V fixed boiler failure & serviced it.. no probz there.. after Dad died contract was cancelled.. 15 jun called V re probz that I considered outstanding from contract, namely wires hanging from under boiler, domestic hot water temp selector jammed fully on & maybe faulty diaphragm producing very slow response.. I was totally fobbed off & offered th option of paying £250 call out fee.. I declined.. 10 sep called Vaillant regarding air pressure switch dangling free & SPARKING down back of boiler & previous issues & intermittent smell of gas.. after massive attempted fob off finally get manager to send out engineer free.. 13 sep he fixes air pressure switch, xplains gas smell, notices that boiler will not turn off in response to programmer & says a new temp selector iz needed.. callz his manager who will not let him replace part.. he tickles th boiler a bit.. that evening my gfriend scaldz her handz on searing hot water now being produced.. 14 sep called V re fixing temp selector & checking programmer as should have been done under contract.. 16 sep engineer attends, agrees probz, calls manager who will not let him replace part unless I pay £250.. surreal call with manager who tries disgusting tactic of claiming probz have occurred since contract xpired so not their responsibility.. total xtortion.. boiler still not responding to programmer.. so peeved gfriend & I read manual & get gas safe mate to open front to find V have put a bridge across programmer terminals cutting off programmer.. removed 2cm of red wire.. job done.. beautiful.. we have control of boiler..
all above probz were created by V & none were spotted/resolved by 3 V engineerz.. appalling that V had done least possible needed to maintain boiler when Dad was an A1 customer..
am I correct to xpect V to resolve issues in this scenario..

"Let this be a lesson to all you out there not phoning Vaillant at the start and being put off by their 200 standard fee!"
Here iz a cautionary tale re Vaillant, th punchline of which iz.. a) th standard (xtortion) fee iz now £250 and b) initially check that Vaillant have not sabotaged boiler by 4 instance inserting a "bridge" btweeen terminals 3 & 4 az well az programmer being connectd to same terminals.. therefore heating cannot be turned off..
Apologies if this a bit garbled.. still reeling from Vaillantz unbelievable performance & in shok @ our solution to th problem.. neither myself nor my gfriend have any boiler xperience..
Now here iz th bak story.. in 1992 my Dad bought a Vaillant 242 EH & bcause he was old skool & honourable he got Vaillant annual maintenance contract which he kept going until (after) his death in april this year (contract ended 26 may)..
4 feb this year V fixed boiler failure & serviced it.. no probz there.. after Dad died contract was cancelled.. 15 jun called V re probz that I considered outstanding from contract, namely wires hanging from under boiler, domestic hot water temp selector jammed fully on & maybe faulty diaphragm producing very slow response.. I was totally fobbed off & offered th option of paying £250 call out fee.. I declined.. 10 sep called Vaillant regarding air pressure switch dangling free & SPARKING down back of boiler & previous issues & intermittent smell of gas.. after massive attempted fob off finally get manager to send out engineer free.. 13 sep he fixes air pressure switch, xplains gas smell, notices that boiler will not turn off in response to programmer & says a new temp selector iz needed.. callz his manager who will not let him replace part.. he tickles th boiler a bit.. that evening my gfriend scaldz her handz on searing hot water now being produced.. 14 sep called V re fixing temp selector & checking programmer as should have been done under contract.. 16 sep engineer attends, agrees probz, calls manager who will not let him replace part unless I pay £250.. surreal call with manager who tries disgusting tactic of claiming probz have occurred since contract xpired so not their responsibility.. total xtortion.. boiler still not responding to programmer.. so peeved gfriend & I read manual & get gas safe mate to open front to find V have put a bridge across programmer terminals cutting off programmer.. removed 2cm of red wire.. job done.. beautiful.. we have control of boiler..
all above probz were created by V & none were spotted/resolved by 3 V engineerz.. appalling that V had done least possible needed to maintain boiler when Dad was an A1 customer..
am I correct to xpect V to resolve issues in this scenario..

? :eek:

Let me get this correct, An 18 year old boiler needs lots of parts fitted, and it is all vaillants fault? :mad:

Not wear and tear then? You are obviously a dream customer :( Why haven't you let any engineer carry on with his diagnosis and are convinced everyone is out there to rob poor liitle you.

IT IS 18 YEARS OLD get a new one and wipe your nose. :mad: Don't get a poc Vaillant though, get a long laster like Ravenheat, Halstead etc.

Oddly enough, due 2 Dadz rigorous & xpensive adherence 2 annual servicing, th boila iz still workin beautifully. It didnt need partz just correct maintenance & no sabotage. I only felt "robbed" when paid for work was done incorrectly by Vaillant. When I persisted they totally saw my point & totally sorted th problem free of charge. Approx cost £1000. Love them & my Vaillant. Not so sure about you.

Let me get this correct, An 18 year old boiler needs lots of parts fitted, and it is all vaillants fault? :mad:

Not wear and tear then? You are obviously a dream customer :( Why haven't you let any engineer carry on with his diagnosis and are convinced everyone is out there to rob poor liitle you.

IT IS 18 YEARS OLD get a new one and wipe your nose. :mad: Don't get a poc Vaillant though, get a long laster like Ravenheat, Halstead etc.

Any combi boiler still going after 20 years cannot be that bad.

With Vaillant parts prices, £250 for a fixed price repair including parts sounds reasonable. Whilst I could charge a third of that most of the time if a PCB were needed then it would be close to the £250.

Tony

Whilst I could charge a third of that

Would you charge a third of that for Fan or main HE or HWHE supply and fit? Vaillant parts, not copy parts mind ;)

lol i just sat read this post without realising it's age, feck sake 2 year on and post reappears and a **** like me reads it as well,

wonder if the dia pump ever was repaired/replaced lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back