Vaillant VR61, VR81, VRC-470 - Adding a third zone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a 2 zone Vaillant setup, with a VR61 wiring centre and the VRC-470 as the main zone1 control and VR81 as the zone2 control. This was all installed about 2 years ago, however we have just had the basement converted and so now have an additional zone. Don't worry I planned ahead in terms of the boiler and we have an EcoTec Plus 637, sadly I didn't realise you can't daisy chain wiring centres and they don't do a controller with more zones. Even Vaillant technical find this ludicrous but said however, next year there is a 700 series coming out which allows for daisy chaining like the commercial systems.

This isn't much use for me now, but neither is their other suggestion to buy another setup e.g. Honeywell or Heatmiser. I'm looking if there is a way around this as I just forked out £500 in controls only two years ago.

So getting down to it, I don't want to loose my VRC-470 it cost a wack and I like the weather compensator. I was wondering if I add an extra wiring centre e.g. a UH4
Heatmiser http://www.heatmiser.com/download/english(11)/datasheets/UH4.pdf

Would it be possible to add my additional zone to this (allowing room for future expansion like the loft or more zones), then add a new thermostat for my cellar to this. So the heatmiser will go to the room thermostat 24v (white connection) on the x100 connection. Will this cause a problem with the VR61 e.g. flyback current and could this be resolved by adding a zenor diode on each + lead?

Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back