Vaillant vs. Baxi

Looking at all the previous models over the last 15 years Vaillant have made good solid boilers which have proved reliable and stood the test of time Baxi/potterton have (with a few exceptions) produced unreliable carp especially the combi's they have made. Granted the solo 2 and 3 were good as were the neataheats but look at the envoy, the bahama, the puma, the barcelona, etc etc.

Sponsored Links
The trouble with Baxi is they thought they could design there own combi when the market really kicked in about 14 years ago and came up with the biggest pile of sh#te you could imagine , quickly realised and dropped it after a year only to make a bigger mistake and buy the chaff combi with a few tweaks nearly ruining there name that had took 30 odd years to put them at the top.

They redeemed themselves with buying in the already proven 80e and 105e and tweaking it which in its various badges must be the most popular boiler out there by a mile and is very reliable with excellent performance,
There next mistake was to buy potterton for market share without taking into account they only had a few really good boilers that where aging.
And after the barcelona/bahama fiasco it turned people off for years .

Very siilar to what ideal have done to themselves with response/minimiser/icos and isar only thing is ideal have carried on churnin sh#te out

the 80e and 105e are decent boilers but not actually baxi. They are immergas rebadged. Whether they are the most popular boiler around is debatable but they were well priced. Quality wise there is alot better out there of the same era.

Sponsored Links
So. What boiler would you say is more popular then .

sales wise the ideal isar sold more units but is a load of shyte. The WB cdi range were more popular I would say too.

As far as I'm aware, the Vaillant you mention has built-in hot water storage, whereas the Baxi does not - this probably accounts for the larger size of the Vaillant.

I've had a poor Baxi combi in the past and would never buy one again. As you say - everybody will have different experiences and therefore different preferences. If my only choice was the two you mention, then I'd go for the Vaillant.

For me, it was a toss-up between Vaillant and Worcester-Bosch - I went for the Worcester in the end, but I'm sure I would have been equally happy with the Vaillant.

Incidently - my WB 37CDi combi also has built-in hot water storage, but I never use it. I have some lengthy pipe-runs in my house and it makes no real difference for the time it takes for the hot water to get to the taps, so I'm happy to use less gas and live with the few extra seconds it takes.But what do i know

Veissman seem to be highly regarded on this forum, except for the 100 which seems flawed. This has recently been replaced by the 100-w and I would really like to know what the changes were, and whether people think the current model is likely to be more reliable than the older one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back