vaillant vsmart heat curve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
should my heatcurve change as the outside temperature rises

Sponsored Links
No. The heating curve essentially tells the controller how your property responds to different temperatures. That profile won't change with temperature, but the controller should know how to adjust the boiler according to temperature.

It's a setting which you or the engineer set up, so the system has an idea of how to respond to varying temperature demands. Basically - Your boiler checks the outdoor temperature, indoor temperature, desired temperature, plus the heating curve, to calculate how much heat to generate. Set the figure too high and the boiler will heat the water more than necessary and waste gas, set it too low and it may take too long to hit your desired temperature.

Certainly worth noting the current setting so you can restore back to it and seeing how it works with a lower setting on a cold day.

thank you. I have vsmart which sorts it all out but noticed just lately it has come on at 100% for 30min then off for 1hr until temp drops below set point. It used to just tick over at 30-40% to maintain the temp and I wouldnt get a cold feeling.

Sponsored Links
thank you. I have vsmart which sorts it all out but noticed just lately it has come on at 100% for 30min then off for 1hr until temp drops below set point. It used to just tick over at 30-40% to maintain the temp and I wouldnt get a cold feeling.

It sounds as if it is over reacting, bunging much more heat out than necessary - try entering lower numbers for the heat curve.

What it should do is hit the spot precisely. If you turn the stat up, it should decide exactly how much heat it needs to output, to meet it exactly - no over or undershoot. As it nears the newly set temperature it should wind the output down gradually, then maybe continue burning at a minimum level, just enough to maintain your desired temperature.

just gone to change it and vsmart droped it from 1.8 to 1.6. i will see what happens. thank you

vsmart changed it automatically

Thanks, I didn't know it changed the actual numbers - I understood it only trimmed it internally. Must check mine..

[EDIT] You are correct, mine has changed itself too..

Last edited:
must have something to do with warmer weather. guessing here.

must have something to do with warmer weather. guessing here.

Menu → Installer level → System configuration → [System
----] → Adaptive heat. curve
– You can use this function to activate an automatic heat-
ing curve.
If you have activated this function using the Yes setting, the
controller automatically adjusts the heating curve. The auto-
matic adjustment of the heating curve is performed in small
steps. Use the Heating curve function to adapt the heating
curve to the building so that the Adaptive heat. curve func-
tion still has to carry out the fine adjustment.

well found. i didnt even know this setting existed. my installer was clueless about the boiler and vsmart so i am slowly learning. wondering if its worth range setting or am i fiddling too much

well found. i didnt even know this setting existed. my installer was clueless about the boiler and vsmart so i am slowly learning. wondering if its worth range setting or am i fiddling too much

Always worth fiddling and reading up on the theory, to get the best out of it. Installers, even the best informed of them, can only guess how the system will actually perform in your particular environment.

Range setting of what?

range rating so the boiler only uses up to a certain amount of power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back