Valiant VR66 combining two heating zones into one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Valliant boiler with a VR66 wiring centre. Currently we have two heating zones (upstairs and downstairs) on CH1 and CH2 fed from the VR66. We also have DHW controlled through the VR66.

Due to the layout of our house (open foyer / landing) when we operate either zone 1 or zone 2 independently it’s almost impossible to warm the house as the heat is lost into the opposing zone. The only way to overcome it is to set both temperatures the same.

Both Zones are controlled via a Honeywell zone valve which are adjacent to each other.

Is it possible to wire both zone valves into CH1 in parallel within the VR66 so that both respond to a single thermostat (combining two zones into one)?

The obvious other option would be a single zone valve and rejigging the pipe work (will cause a right mess due to location).

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
That was slightly mean of me. How messy is the wiring centre, how good are you with 240v mains circuits? Which thermostat are you going to keep? Pic of the innards of the wiring centre would be handy.
You might want to think about your control system long-term. With an open-plan setup like yours you really need the radiator on the upstairs landing to be part of the downstairs and upstairs zone to prevent the void of cold that you're experiencing.
The hardware solution to that is to replumb that landing rad so its feed tees off after the feed to the hot water cylinder (if you have one) and before the 2 zone valves- thus whichever heating zone is calling for heat that rad will get hot. Do put a TRV on it....
The soft modern solution isn't as easy as it should be. You could go for a WiFi TRV setup (latch the zone valves open, every radiator is its own zone)- works well for programmed times, not so well for ad hoc stick the heat on for another hour, i want to watch the end of this- you have to prod 2 icons rather than one.

Sponsored Links
I was happy with the ‘yes’

I’ve replaced zone valves in the past without much issue within the VR66 wiring centre.

If I was to wire both zone valves in to CH1, I’d remove the upstairs thermostat and use the one in the hall that controls CH1.

Longer term thinking about installing a vsmart (believe this will control a single heating zone so will be set up for that).

Smart TRVs is a good suggestion, are there any particular ones you would recommend?

Longer term when we replace the boiler I’ll consider your suggestion around the radiator on the landing.

Thanks for the ‘yes’ and follow up message

I was happy with the ‘yes’

I’ve replaced zone valves in the past without much issue within the VR66 wiring centre.

If I was to wire both zone valves in to CH1, I’d remove the upstairs thermostat and use the one in the hall that controls CH1.

Longer term thinking about installing a vsmart (believe this will control a single heating zone so will be set up for that).

Smart TRVs is a good suggestion, are there any particular ones you would recommend?

Longer term when we replace the boiler I’ll consider your suggestion around the radiator on the landing.

Thanks for the ‘yes’ and follow up message
Don't go with smart TRV's, just get weather comp and don't look back. Vsmart or VCF700 depending on the rest of what you have. Once you have weather comp you wont need TRV's.

Update - took the advice and bought a vSmart. I’ve now got both heating zone valves connected into CH1 (house is warmer than it’s ever been and seem to be using less energy!). I removed the 2x thermostats and replaced with a vSmart. Seems to be working really well.

I had issue with the initial set up as I was getting an error ‘no heating demand summer mode’ on the boiler. After I retraced everything found that the toggle within the VR66 was on ‘0’ where the instructions suggested ‘1’. When I changed this everything started working perfectly - Does anyone know why this needed changed? Possibly because I only now have a single heating zone?

VR66 unit

Attachments

• 8660E99F-FD30-4BBF-95DA-E65B66460E7B.jpeg
    8660E99F-FD30-4BBF-95DA-E65B66460E7B.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 31

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back