Valliant EcoTECH plus 831 fuse blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ask as it is clearly near to Christmas so will need this sorting as have family back and its bloody freezing (nesh 61yr old with C)
My boiler showed low pressure and whilst adding water it switched itself off and will not switch on. This happened this morning and it was due a service this PM as part of my 24/7 boiler insurance.
Engineer duly arrived to service and started scatching head. He replaced the fuse which failed after 20/30 seconds. He played around for a bit before he thinks he identified the pump is causing the problem.
He had come to service and not repair so off he went.
I now have an engineer coming tomorrow.
If the engineer tomorrow identifies it as the pump fusing are they likely to have VALLIANT pumps or are they readily available from local suppliers or need ordering in.
Are 24/7 a reasonable company.

Sponsored Links
Go with the guy who came to service the boiler. You could go with 24/7 company but at what cost.

To be frank, guy attending should have been able to prove issue in the pump. Stock item for my supplier. Probably dragging heals as he won’t be making decisions, his boss says what happens, you will just be a number. Wonder what was done during the service

What year Vaillant EcoTEC pro is it, and did the fuse definitely blow? As for carrying pumps - it all depends on what they carry, and which merchants they use. Shouldn’t need to wait more than a day to arrive though, if not in stock. Not heard of 24/7, so can’t comment.

Cheers Guys. it was installed in 2012. The boiler worked when we changed the fuse before it blew again and he played with his multimeter type thing for 15 mins or so.
24/7 is a boiler insurance cover which includes annual service and I pay £75 if I ever need to call an engineer they pay for bits and extra labour.
As it wasn't working he couldn't service it but normally they are playing around for 30/40mins checking things over (includes cup of tea with 3 sugars)

Sponsored Links
2012 - sounds like the blue lit lcd type, could be the pump, but I’d wager another part

24/7 is a boiler insurance cover which includes annual service and I pay £75 if I ever need to call an engineer they pay for bits and extra labour.

Is £75 the total you pay pay or is this a top up for additional call plus the monthly payment
Is £75.00 set amount regardless of the time taken and items required to get the boiler working.

Almost certainly one of these schemes where it's more expensive than just keeping the money in the bank...

This has has cost me £60 pa for first 2 years includes a 'service'. Think about cost to service a car and then pay insurance that I have never used in 44 years seems good value for an essential bit of kit to me.
The £75 is a call out fee that incl parts for repair.
How much would an annual check over/service cost with a plumber?
If its pump they appear to be about £150 plus time to fit etc. seems pretty good value to me.
Thanks for looking anyway guys

The £75 is a call out fee that incl parts for repair.

Cannot see how that would work out as majority of the parts are at leat over £100, some a lot more. An example is genuine Baxi Solo circuit board is well over £300 ( I am not talking about third party, reconditioned or eBay sourced parts)

£60.00 to service a boiler as per detailed in the boiler manual is cheap but rarely carried out.

You may want to look at the fine print

It matters not now as the pump and diverter valve are both causing the fuses to blow. Given the boiler it is 10yrs old and outside their scope to repair so an economical write off.
No local plumbers available and quoting £90 for call out and £50 for follow up visit plus parts may be next week or January
Any thoughts on the 'ideal logic c30' £2200 installed on Thursday

Ah yes, the old "beyond economical repair" trick when they realise it's going to cost more to fix than they have received in premiums. No wonder it was cheap...

Contact Vaillant and book in a fixed price repair. Damn sight cheaper than a new boiler and won't be a crappy boiler launched in at short notice by Bodgit & Scarper Ltd. I'd be suspicious of anyone who can offer a virtually next-day installation on a boiler at this time of year.

It is too old for Valiant to book fixed priced repair

You are getting shafted, post a few pics of your diverter valve

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It matters not now as the pump and diverter valve are both causing the fuses to blow.
Is the fuse actually blowing, or is the display disappearing when turned on for up to 60 seconds?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back