Valliant Turbo Max Plus - One rad not working; please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear experts, (which I am not sorry :oops: )

We have recently moved into this property so have no previous history other than full system install in 2003 (when the house was built).

Problem; our largest rad downstairs in living room remains cold when all others in house are piping hot? The exposed pipes leading in and out of this rad are also completly cold.

Having 0% expertise in this area, I have done some searches online, and checked to see if the needle in thermo valve is stuck. When inspected, it wasn't stuck down, and moved freely; so knocks that one on the head!

We have today closed all thermo valves on working rads, and left only the cold rad's thermo valve open and whacked on the heating for a bit. No joy with this either unfortunately! :confused:

I've opened the bleed valve on the rad briefly and they was no air, and a dribble of clean water came out.

Sorry if I’m missing something more obvious, but I am stumped on what else to try??

Thanks for any advice in advance!

James.

P.S. One other thing I noticed (which may not be connected). Hot water sometimes cycles from warm to hot for unknown reason (not because of other taps being opened). Not a major issue though!

Sponsored Links
It looks like the pin is stuck in your "thermo valve" so check again.

are you sure the lockshield valve "on the other side of the rad" is open.

if so you must have a blockage somewhere ;)

Thanks Bobw,

I'll check again when I get back from work, but am quite confident the pin is not stuck! I pushed it down with the handle of a wrench and it popped straight back up again without any fuss.

I'll check the lockshield valve as well, but have made sure this was open previously!

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Okay, so I’ve had a go again last night and still no joy!

To summarise I have tried:

Releasing possible stuck Thermo Valve. (Wasn't stuck)
Bleeding rad a little to check water is present. (Clear Cold Water present)
Closed all other thermo valves in the house and ran heating (making sure the lockshield valve was open) still no movement!

Does anyone have any further suggestions, or shall I bite the bullet and get a plumber in?? If so, does anyone know a rough figure on removing a blockage? I've had a quick look at British Gas and a fixed price of £211 is coming up. Not sure if getting value for money?

Thanks in advance for any advice given!

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back