Valliant turbomax - No CH, h. water ok, "test mode&quot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

My heating has decided not to come on tonight. I have a Valliant 873 Turbomax.
The hot water is ok, there are no error codes and the pressure is in the green at 1.5 bar.

Having a dig around the forum and it seems the usual problem is the divertor valve which gets stuck but this is usually followed by an error code. My boiler think's he's healthy so I am a bit confused.

I pressed both + and - buttons at the same time and it fired up and flashed SF.h continuously which points towards a test mode where it runs to its hottest and then shuts down. Well, after 1 minutes of running like this my radiators were nice and warm so I turned it off.
Based on that, I assume the divertor valve is just peachy. Am I correct?

On to the thermostat - it's a wireless one and it indicated that it was asking for heat. A manual override on the receiver made no difference. I can assume at this point that it is the thermostat receiver which is faulty and not telling the boiler to fire. Would this be correct?

The boiler, in and of itself, seems fine - the self-test mode makes it all hot, the hot water is good etc etc so, could it be the thermostat? Is there a way I can test?

The termostat is a Drayton Digistat. Should I hear of feel a relay click in the receiver when it operates?

Many thanks
Cold. Crispin.

Sponsored Links
Well, it is the thermostat. I disconnected it and checked for continuity between the "outputs" and nudda. I put a jumper in between pin 3 and 4 on the PCB and all is well for tonight. I shall be getting a new thermostat tomorrow.

Any recommendations on what to get and more importantly, what not to get. I don't mind spending on something if it will last ten years.

Cheers,
Warmer Crispin

_just_ in case anyone else has this problem - it now works.

There is a capacitor in the receiver which goes bad. Replacing this sorts the problem out.

£3.95 for the cap is perhaps overpriced for it, you could shop around and save £1.00 but this is easier and cheaper than a new receiver...

Thanks to a nice chap on ebay selling a replacement capacitor, 5 minutes of soldering, I now have heat again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181037643261

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back