Valliant VRC470 - control knob is not responding correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got VRC470 control unit for valliant boiler and some time ago the control knob started misbehaving. Basically, when I rotate it even slightly to navigate the menu, the cursor (highlighted item) jumps randomly. Looks like a problem with the knob.

Does anyone have any idea ho to fix this without replacing the whole unit?

thanks

Sponsored Links
bump!

If not possible to fix the knob, how difficult would be to replace VRC470 with newer VRC700 unit DYI, if possible at all.

Hi all,

I've got VRC470 control unit for valliant boiler and some time ago the control knob started misbehaving. Basically, when I rotate it even slightly to navigate the menu, the cursor (highlighted item) jumps randomly. Looks like a problem with the knob.

Does anyone have any idea ho to fix this without replacing the whole unit?

thanks

I have the 470f, the wireless version..

It will most likely be the switch unit on a pcb, under the knob. They are of this style - https://tech.alpsalpine.com/prod/e/html/switch/rotary/rotary_list1.html

They use two IR beams, two detectors and a segmented disk, to detect direction of rotation and number of steps. Possibility is that the segments are blocked with dust or dirt. With nothing to lose, you could try cleaning the switch with isopropyl alcohol/ or car brake/carburettor cleaner spray.

Almost from when we first bought it, we had the same problem with our microwave combi oven, there was no certainty when you turned it any way, it would count up or down. I got around to fixing it a few weeks ago, as above. It now works as designed.

Another possibility is that the soldering of switch to pcb has developed a crack, modern lead-free solder is quite brittle - so worth checking under a lens.

With nothing to lose, you could try cleaning the switch with isopropyl alcohol/ or car brake/carburettor cleaner spray.
Thank you, was going to try and clean it but it the moment cant figure out how to remove it from the base plate attached to the wall.
I understand it would be simply prying with a screwdriver but don't want to break it

Sponsored Links
Thank you, was going to try and clean it but it the moment cant figure out how to remove it from the base plate attached to the wall.
I understand it would be simply prying with a screwdriver but don't want to break it

Mine 470f, slots down onto a bracket. You lift 470f up to release it, but your 470 has a data cable, which you need to unplug/disconnect. Try what ever solvent you intend using, on a small area first, it might affect the plastics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back