Valor Visage stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a Valor Visage 'living flame' type gas fire and although it ignites no problem it refuses to run,my first thought was the thermocouple which I have replaced but no good still won't run, so I have replaced every valve etc in the fire but still nothing :mad:
the only part I haven't replaced is the micro switch with the yellow wires but my son who is an electrician has tested the switch and found it to be working.
I had my combi boiler moved from the loft to the kitchen a few months ago but I can't see that causing it ?
I have read that the thermocouple needs to supply 25-35 millivolts to the magnet in the gas valve but the old and the new thermocouple seem to only reach 19 milivolts is this enough ?
We tried testing the thermocouple by placing the tip into the flame on the gas cooker hob which then sent the voltage to over 25 milivolts could it be the thermocouple is not getting hot enough in the fire ?
After ignition the fire will run as long as you hold the flame adjustment handle down but as soon as you release the handle the fire will go out.
I have had two occasions when the fire did stay lit but that was after holding the adjuster handle down for quite a few minutes, then it ran fine.
Any ideas Guys ?

Sponsored Links
never trust a sparky when gas is involved

There are 2 likely candidates for this problem (1 way more likely than t'other), but you will have to try another forum, as we cannot give gas advice here. Better still, engage an RGI registered AND experienced with fires.

I assume you did all the safety tests, including spillage, flue and gas rate?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back