Valve replacement on boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope you can help, I have a problem with my boiler in that the valve that's used to top up the central heating pressure has a leak. It,s not leaking from the pipe connections but from the spindal on the tap. It was fine last year, then before winter it leaked when you opened the tap, now its just plain leaking.

I will be able to replace the valve but am wondering if I will have to empty the system to do this. Below are my crude drawings and technical diagrams:

Here the colours are:
Yellow: Gas inlet
blue: mains in
red: DHW flow
Green: Central Heating return
Purple: Central heating flow
brown: problem valve

I can obviously shut off the mains water at the house stopcock and the stopcock on the boiler.

My question is with the other side of the valve being attached to the central heating flow, will the all the radiators dump their load if I disconnect the valve there????

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Hi.
Normally the filling loop is between the cold water inlet and the ch return but if have come across them on the flow.
The filling loop will have two valves connected to the filling hose. one of them should be a non return valve. This will normally be slightly longer than the normal isolation valve. If the non return valve is on the heating side then there should not be a problem and you will only have to isolate your cold water. Be advised non return valves have been know to leak!!!! Shut off the valve and slowly undo the hose. Good luck

There is another valve, looks like a standards isolation valve but where there would normally be a screw thread there is not, its just like a nut - would this be it?

If so its definately on the mains side of the faulty valve :( :( :(

There's no other valve I can see between the faulty valve and the flow pipe for the CH before the pipes disappear into the ceiling :?:

What would be the best way to drain the system if I have to do that?

Thanks Mark

The one with the nut on sounds as though it is the non return valve.

What is the make and model of boiler?
Is it upstairs or down?

Sponsored Links
Hi there
iirc the boiler is a vokera 24se compact......... I'll check when I get home. It's downstairs and the CH flow pipes run straight into the ceiling above. Like I say there is no other valve after the faulty one on the boiler side...... Not one that I can see anyway.

Thanks for your help so far

mark

Although yours sounds old, the correct position for the double non return valve since 1999 has been on the mains water supply side.

If yours is fitted this way then the Ch has to be pressure reduced to zero and then a new valve can usually be fitted by an experienced persion using a quick snatch change. That has to be practiced but can usually be done without spilling more than about 1/2 litre.

One of my trainees practiced doing rad valve changes like that with two people using a wet and dry aquavac.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back