Valves and Leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agh why,

I have changed a few RADS and most times they are fine, but reading a lot some folk say leave the threads alone where others say wrap PTFE tape around the threads. I've done both ways and I still get a very small leak?
I know you always PTFE the tails but the valve threads themselves...not usually as they should be sufficient on their own.

Help!

What am I doing wrong, I hand tighten the bolts then a half turn, check and another half turn if needed, did all this and still a leak...water?? is there a better way these days...

Sponsored Links
You mean around the valve thread going into the Olive? not actually around the copper olive itself.

Sponsored Links
What if I had to drain a RAD and it still has the old olives, you cant wrap round olive then as its inside nut...

I know you always PTFE the tails but the valve threads themselves...
I thought we were talking tails, not the compression joint to the pipework.

What if I had to drain a RAD and it still has the old olives, you cant wrap round olive then as its inside nut...
You'd have to drain the system, if your talking about the compression joint to the pipework.

No Im not talking about tails into the actual RAD I know that needs plenty of PTFE its the compression joint on the pipework, that thread that goes into the tail? do you normally leave that or do you use something on the thread? I did drain the system and cleaned the compression joints to the pipework then did them up and added water, got slight leak...so is it best to have something on the joint threads?
Thanks

Well there a few years old now so I cleaned them with a cloth best I can, yep thats the 2 parts I was meaning...is it worth PTFE them or just buy another, could be at at days if I drain then same then drain then same...from what you are saying no point using PTFE on the threads you indicated.

I have the thermostat on that end.

On the tail you would use PTFE sometimes as much as 15 turns, turned against the direction of the thread.

On the pipe work you would use a smear of jointing compound around the olive.

Did you get your boiler going ? Was the pump okay?

Hi Terry,

Not yet mate wont start been at it again today really annoying. I've bled the RADS again but still same.

Think Im getting mixed up with the tail that goes into the RAD then the compression joint tail which goes into the main tail, so from the picture above its ok to put PTFE on the actual tail of the compression joint too then, really that many times? thought that was for the main tail into the RAD? I have some Boss Green Jointing Compound, is that ok to stick on the olive on the pipework?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back