Van racking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, going to build some shelves into the ply lining above my wheel arches in my Scudo. I have seen a couple of companies on ebay that sell built up units made out of plywood, but not willing to spend a couple of hundred pounds on them.
Has anybody else built anything similar to give me some ideas?
Also can I use any self tapping screw or does it have to be for metal, as I have not found any specifically for metal when I have been in screwfix, and the like.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Bespoke van shelving is one hell of a price, and I'd be looking at the Machine Mart catalogue for something that would do....
Regarding self tapping screws, if you are buying them as such, they are hardened anyway and cut their own thread. They can be used for metal or timber.
John :)

Self tapping screws are sometimes called sheet metal screws. So if you are buying something called self tapping screws, they should be up to the job.

Many 'wood' screws are hard enough to self-tap into thin sheet steel.

There are a couple of varieties of 'self- tapping' screws. Some are more or less parallel, with a flute or two near the tip to cut a thread in more or less solid metal, typically when the metal is thicker than the screw diameter.

Others have a spire point to deform thin sheet metal to fom a thread. Typically used when the metal is thinner than the screw diameter, as it usually is in typical auto bodies.

For very heavy duty fixings, say for a bulkhead, 'Rivnuts' are useful. They fit in a drilled hole, cinch up like a pop rivet, and accept machine screws.

ribbed.jpg

[/i]

Sponsored Links
Cheers all, for the very helpful information, esp about rivnuts as I never knew they existed.

Cheers all, for the very helpful information, esp about rivnuts as I never knew they existed.

You will need a rivnut gun to fit them, although it is just possible to fit/squeeze them, using a bolt and some smooth washers.

We had van racking done by a company called Bott.

Good racking but probably not cheap.
See if i can find a link.http://www.bottltd.co.uk/

Ask jeeves and search bott and you will find !

Hi, even though wood my be cheaper in short term, it doesn't last! Been there done that etc.....

bought some racking from vankit, best money I spent! Was reasonably priced and they came out and fitted it while I was working on a job. would recomend. linkto_www.vankit.com :p :p

What age is the Scudo? I've got a 56-plate Dispatch (same van, different name) I racked myself, I can take some pictures if you like, I'm very happy with the resuly (but then I would be I suppose!)

I've got a 2003 Berlingo, its ex BG but the racking was removed when I purchased it a while back. Its got like a plastic lining, which I assume is as good as ply lining?

Any tips for setting up a shelf system on just one side?

Sponsored Links
Back